Known for years in Philadelphia as the premiere Made-To-Measure, Bespoke Menswear Agency, Commonwealth Proper has launched its “Die Proper”, Ready-To-Wear line. I’ve known the crew at CMMP (that’s their moniker) for a few years now and I can honestly say that the passion and creativity that they put into their garments is almost unmatched.
The signature pieces of the Die Proper Collection are Made In Philadelphia Button Down Shirts & Brushed Twill Cotton Unlined Blazers. One common characteristic about all of the ready-to-wear pieces is the tailored fit. These aren’t your typical off-the-rack garments that are made like a sack-o-potatoes, the detailed precision that went into the creation of these pieces speak to the made-to-measure aesthetic of the CMMP crew. Below is a breakdown of the items and some images for style inspiration. (All the pictures are clickable and will take you to the CMMP site for that item).
- Made In Philadelphia.
- Tailored fit through the torso, waist and arms.
- If you look closely, you’ll see that the collars are shorter than your traditional button down, which lends itself to being worn more as a casual piece.
- The arm holes are higher than an off the rack shirt. Higher arm holes lead to a better fit through the torso.
- Men’s Style Pro Opinion Of The Shirts: First, I was extremely happy to know that these shirts were made in Philly because it’s my hometown. Also, besides the fit, which was spot on for the shirts, the length may personally be the most attractive attribute. You’ve probably experience the gown-type shirts that you usually find at the “big box” stores, that you can never wear untucked. If we’re going with a grade for these shirts, I’ll give them an A.
Hanging out with Charlie The Cat
The Brush Twill Cotton Jacket
Ready-To-Wear Brush Cotton Blazer in Moss by Commonwealth Proper apart of the Die Proper Collection
- Made in the USA.
- Brush Twill Cotton. The more you wear this jacket, the better the fabric will look in regards to natural wear-and-tear. Break it in like a champ.
- Unconstructed lining, which is ideal for a better fit to your body over the life of the jacket.
- Functional buttons on sleeve cuff.
- Patch pockets for a more casual feel. Makes for a great pairing with everything from denim to chinos.
- Men’s Style Pro Opinion: I’m a huge fan of every detail of this jacket, except for one thing. The inside breast pocket is a bit shallow, with just enough room to hold a card holder or just business cards. If we’re going for a grade on this blazer as is: B+/A-.
Unlined Inside of Die Proper Ready-To-Wear Cotton Blazer by Commonwealth Proper
Chestnut Brown Wingtips by Fin’s For Him
Custom Navy Suit by Indochino | Charcoal Chevron Made In Philadelphia Button Down Shirt by Commonwealth Proper
Vintage Silk & Leather Braces
Brogued Double Monk Strap Shoes by Giorgio Brutini
Commonwealth Proper is located at 19th & Chestnut Street in Center City Philly, right above Starbucks. You can book here be they specialize in one-on-one service for all their clients. The entrance to CMMP is 1839 Chestnut Street.
Photography: Marina T. Peele | Marina@mensstylepro.com
Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man. As of 2014, Sabir serves as a freelance brand ambassador & executive stylist for GQ Magazine & GQ Report. Outside of that partnership, Sabir serves as an independent brand consultant as well. Reach me directly at SABIR@MENSSTYLEPRO.COM