Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has…
Classy Stays & Style To Ring In The New Year
As 2019 approaches and you’re planning how to ring in the new year, of course, you’re probably thinking — “how can I make this year’s celebrating different?” For me, a change of scenery and mixing up some of my style elements to look as chic and relaxed as possible. I’ve partnered with the Bellevue Philadelphia Hotel (a Hyatt property) to showcase two ways to “un-tux” your New Year’s Eve look but still look as dapper as ever.
If you’re visiting Philly or looking for an NYE staycation, click – Stay At The Bellevue Philadelphia, to book your visit. The historic property is located on Broad Street with views of City Hall with over 100 rooms available (and breath-taking suites), adorned with modern & classic art.
Photography by Saeed Ferguson of All Cap Studio
Grey Suit w/ Shawl Lapel Jacket – Michael Bastian Grey Label | Dot Shirt – H&M | Velvet Loafers – via Amazon
It’s the swankest time of the year and you’re ready to don that spiffy tuxedo to pop a few bottles of champagne until the ball drops. Obviously, there’s nothing wrong with rocking a tuxedo for NYE, but, finding a suit with elements of a tuxedo might be the style move of the 2018 holiday party season.
Side Note: Check out the pants, there’s no tuxedo stripe
Why A Faux-Tuxedo Works For New Year’s Eve
- All the elements are perfect for an upscale holiday party without being too formal.
- Find a suit/dinner jacket with a shawl lapel and one uncovered button(s). It’s as traditional as you can get for a jacket have a shawl collar, but, the uncovered buttons reads more like a suit than a tuxedo. Plus, the jacket could be broken up and paired with jeans
- Get funky with your shirt and lose the tie. Unless you’re getting married on New Year’s Eve or it’s a black tie affair, there no need to be stiff. Think dots, floral or even an amped up print (see look two)
- You might attend a show or a more formal dinner before getting wild, so a suit that moonlights as a tuxedo is ideal
Leather & Zebras
Zebra Print Shirt – H&M | Leather Jacket – Topman | Black Fedora – Goorin Bros | Boots – Johnston & Murphy | Tuxedo Pants – Tallia
Here’s a secret, you can wear a pair of black tuxedo pants as a separate (go three photos down to see the stripe). It’s a slick way to keep a formal element in a pared down NYE look. You might be a style novice, so, here are a few ways to pull off this look that would make Jeff Goldblum proud in the process:
How To Get Modern Rat Pack Fresh
- Keep The Shirt FUNKY! But, keep the rest of the look muted. NYE is a great time to wear all black, but, adding a printed shirt in the monochromatic motif is key. This is the time to blend in and stand out
- Party like a rockstar and opt for a pair of Chelsea boots or Jodhpur, they pair perfectly with your leather moto jacket
- Are you a mad hatter? Probably not. But, it’s NYE so take a style risk. Just keep the brim stingy (aka shorty) and go with a classic black
- Lastly, the secret star of this look are your black tuxedo pants. Wear them like a pair of well-tailored black jeans
Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man. As of 2014, Sabir serves as a freelance brand ambassador & executive stylist for GQ Magazine & GQ Report. Outside of that partnership, Sabir serves as an independent brand consultant as well. Reach me directly at SABIR@MENSSTYLEPRO.COM