Upgrade Your Field Jacket
There’s nothing wrong with the way you’ve been wearing your field jacket, however; it’s time to give your that jacket a bit of a sprucing up. You can call yourself the master of dressing down your field jacket with broken jeans or chinos, but, its time to see that your wax-coated outerwear has a place in a more tailored world.
The waxed cotton field jacket featured here is the Fenimore by Bonobos . Sourcing this water repellant fabric from the century old, British Millerain® Company, Bonobos gave this classic piece of military outerwear, a sleek and modern fit that works perfect for tailored pieces.
(Use the poll at the end of the feature to vote for your favorite look)
Fenimore Wax Cotton Jacket – Bonobos | Fine Gauge Merino Wool Turtleneck Sweater – Uniqlo | Chambray Shirt (Under Sweater) – Ernest Alexander | Chalk Striped Wool Trousers – Jack Wills | Custom Suede Captoe Double Monk Strap – V.Artigiano | Handmade Bracelet – Tobox Shoes
The Italian guys just get it right all the damn time with their style. Pairing a wax cotton field coat with a semi tailored look like this keep the aesthetic casual, but, not too casual. One thing we’ve come to expect and respect from those steezy Italian fellow is that they embrace pairing earth toned outerwear with their tailored pieces and do it rather effortlessly.
- Styling this field coat layered pieces is a great way to stay warm, however; decide whether you’ll be layering over several thin layers or over one chunky layer.
- The olive green color works best with navy blues and brown hues.
- It’s okay for you collar to be popped at all times with this jacket. Trust us, you won’t be looked at like a d-bag.
One of the best ways to spruce up your wax cotton jacket is to pair it with a white jean or chino. There’s no doubt that you can pair this outerwear piece with a pair of dark wash jeans, but, let’s step out of your normal comfort zone for a fresh update. Since we’re still in the cold weather months, it makes much more sense to rock a pair of jeans instead of chinos.
- If you’re going to rock white denim jeans with this wax cotton jacket, you may want to go for off white instead of stark white like the ones featured here.
- Loafers keeps the look casual, but, in a grown man kind of way.
- This jacket has inner draw strings at the waist. Cinch those string to pull in the waist slightly to help give the jacket a blazer feel.
Back In Business
One option that guys don’t take advantage of is rocking your field jacket over a suit. Many field jackets are constructed in such a box way that they are not flattering to your tailored pieces, that’s not the case in regard to this one. There is really one a few style tips you’ll need to follow when suiting up your field jacket.
- Your field jacket should be the same length or longer than your suit jacket.
- Look for a field jacket with a tapered waist. This tapered waist will mimic the silhouette of your suit jacket
- Keep the pockets clean and square! If the pockets look too pouchy, you’ll start to look a bit out of sorts.
Photo Cred: Marina T. Peele @Cantwinklefty