You’re probably tired of menswear sites and magazines preaching the doctrine of dark rinse, indigo denim as if it’s the only kind of jeans that exist. Well, before we go 100% off the deep-end and tell you to toss your favorite pair of blues in the trash, take a moment to appreciate them and put them back in your closet. Now, reach deeper into your closet and pull out that pair of black jeans your bough on a whim and give them some new life.
Often worn by rockers and NY scenester, black jeans come with a bit of natural edge that the average dude tends to stray away from. This particular pair of blacks jeans are by 3×1, made right here in the US (out of NYC). 3×1 makes bespoke jeans, made to measure and off the rack denim, crafted with the highest quality that we have ever seen here in the US. The price point is higher than your typical off the rack, mass produced jeans and if you get the chance to check these jeans out, you’ll see why (check out there video on Making 3×1 Jeans).
Since styling black jeans can be a daunting task, below are three looks for a bit of style inspiration using the M3 XX133 black raw denim jeans.
Weekend Traveling Rockstar
- Leather jackets & boots are synonymous with black jeans (gives off the rocker vibe). Make sure your jacket stops right at your waist and your boots have a slim silhouette.
- Break up this all black look with a deep color shirt (like this red). Bright colors will take away from the cohesiveness of the look, so steer clear of them when putting this look together.
- This look works well if your getting together with the guys, a first date or just a weekend trip to the movies. It’s tailored enough not to be seen as a sloppy outfit, but, it’s casual enough not to make you look like a stiff.
Hannigan Gore Chelsea Boot – Johnston & Murphy
Black & Tan
Custom Camel Overcoat – Indochino
Styling Tan Shoes With Black Jean
- Take a cue from the ladies, tan shoes and black jeans pair together quite harmoniously.
- Look for a pair of tan shoes with a bit of darker burnish. The burnish coloring will complement the black jeans, so there isn’t such a contrast in the pieces.
- If possible, add another tan piece to the look to complement your shoes.
- The silhouette of your shoes should match the fit of your jeans.
Fine Gauge Turtleneck Sweater – H&M
Blazer Styling Tip
- Call this the anti-suit.
- Pushing your blazer sleeves up with keep the look as casual as possible, especially when styled with a t-shirt.
- Give the look a bit of “polished” structure by adding a plan white pocket square (it’ll complement your shirt too).
- Your t-shirt doesn’t have to look perfect, even when pair with a blazer. Pull the collar down some and loosen up a little.
- Pairing white sneakers with this look adds a great contrast and keeps the look fresh.
Home » Rock Your Black Jeans 3 Ways
White Canvas Sneakers – Lands End
(My Dog Warner) Red Flex Fleece Dog Hoodie – American Apparel
Photo Credit: Marina T. Peele @Cantwinklefty via Instagram
Around The Web
Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man. As of 2014, Sabir serves as a freelance brand ambassador & executive stylist for GQ Magazine & GQ Report. Outside of that partnership, Sabir serves as an independent brand consultant as well. Reach me directly at SABIR@MENSSTYLEPRO.COM