White Chinos : The Non-Nautical Way
(all font in burgundy is clickable)(All shoes in the posts are by Johnston & Murphy and the chinos are from Bonobos)
It’s very easy to style white chinos the “nautical way” by pairing them with a striped or solid navy shirt. Of course, I have nothing against the nautical style, especially for the summer, but, white chinos have their place outside of the boating realm. One of the great characteristic of white chinos is that they are a blank canvas that can be pair with just about anything. As opposed to white jeans, chinos have the ability and the texture to be dressed up well for the office or a semi-casual event and they can really be dressed down with a polo or henley shirt. Below are four outfits that address the issue of stylish white chinos without going nautical and without relying on “peacocking” colors to seem on trend.
1. Summer at the office
Putting together a work look with white chinos is a bit tricky and really depends on your work environment. If you work in an extremely conservative corporate office, this look will not fly. Pairing together a khaki or navy blazer with white chinos is a sure-fire way to ground this look. Depending on how comfortable you feel in terms of your personal style, a solid corporate blue shirt or even a gingham shirt are perfect combos.
Other Shirt Combos For This Look:
- Solid shirt with a navy knit or silk tie in a variety of patterns
- Green or blue gingham shirt
- Navy blue shirt, no tie (casual friday)
Silk tie by Frank & Oak – Custom Shirt by Ratio Clothing – Rose Gold Watch by Michael Kors – Bracelet by Aldo - Tie Bar by Alfani – Silk Knot Cuff Links by Thomas Pink – Gingham Pocket Square by Merona
2. Black & White
Black and white is one of the simplest color combinations to put together, however; I almost never wear them together unless it’s for a formal situation. One of my readers recently emailed me asking whether it’s suitable to wear black shoes with white pants. The answer to that question is, YES! The key to pairing black shoes with white pants comes down to the silhouette and texture of the shoes. Black leather shoes pair best with cotton pants and chinos because the texture of the shoes are flat. If you decide you want to wear white jeans instead of chinos, black suede shoes or leather shoes will complement your jeans well.
Gingham Shirt by Heritage – Knit Tie by Club Room via Macys -
Easy Reader Watch by Timex – Nato Watch Strap by J.Crew
Black Tassel President Collect Loafers by Johnston & Murphy - Skull Socks by Merona
3. Black & White Part Deux The black and white look can be dressed down with white chinos too. One of the key factors to bringing this look together is the addition of the grey stripes in the shirt. If you decide to pair a solid black shirt with your white pants you will see that they do not complement each other well. A color like grey is much softer and really acts as a grounding agent in an outfit like this one. Where can this look be worn?
- Great look for a casual weekend for errands
- Casual dinner
- Great for a summer evening party that may turn into a night out
Shawl Collar Sweater Shirt by Charles and a Half via Urban Outfitters (gift from wife) -
Timex Easy Reader Watch – Bracelet by Aldo – White Chinos by Bonobos
Tassel Loafers by Johnston & Murphy President Collection
Putting together casual looks for the spring and summer is one of the easiest things to do using white chinos. Instead of reaching for your most colorful shirt, think about going with some earth-tones to keep you look very relaxed. If you’re not dress shoe guy, add a pair of canvas sneakers, espadrilles, driving moccasins or flip-flops to your white chino look and enjoy your day.
For a more casual look:
- Swap out the henley shirt for a polo
- Invest a few grey v-neck t shirts
- If you want to go with the nautical look, add a striped navy and white (or grey shirt) to this look
Plaid lining inside of Bonobos Chinos Pockets