Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has…
(all text in burgundy is clickable)
This month’s GQ has a feature called, “Raise The Flag”, which displays about five different shirt and tie combos of red, white & blue. With Independence Day just two days away, I thought it would be most appropriate to show some more ways to incorporate the colors of Old Glory into your wardrobe.
Red, white & blue is a relatively easy combo to pull-off. Most guys feel comfortable wearing a white dress shirt with a blue and red tie, or, a white t-shirt with blue jeans and a red hat. While those looks are classic, they are also safe/expected. Here are some suggestions to help you think outside the box/push the limits when putting together your patriotic look.
Tips for styling Red, White & Blue:
- Don’t overlook your accessories. A pocket square or watch strap can be the perfect finishing touch.
- Don’t fall into the trap of only wearing red, white & blue shirt and tie combos.
- Explorer the different shades all of these colors. You don’t have to stick to navy, bright red and stark white.
- Explore patterns like stripes, plaids and gingham to work the three colors into your look
- It’s summer time. Make your white trousers the base of your red, white
1. Short Sleeves For Work:
Red, White & Navy Gingham Shirt by H&M – Waist Coat & Trousers from 3 Piece Essential Custom Suit by Indochino – Cabarris Penny Loafers by Johnston & Murphy – Rose Gold Watch by Michael Kors
2. Rock The Polo
Bermuda Polo by Psycho Bunny – White Chinos by Bonobos – Suede Blue Driving Moccasins by Aldo
Some Quick Tips About Fit:
- The sleeves of a polo shirt should stop at the middle of your biceps (if your sleeves hit your elbow your shirt is too long or too large).
- A polo shirt should hug your shoulders
- If you decide to wear a polo as a part of your red, white & blue outfit, go with a pattern. Solid colors polos can be a bit boring and can often mask your physique.
Watch strap by CheapestNatoStraps.com
3. Linen On Linen:
Spread Collar Linen Shirt by Psycho Bunny – Linen Double-breasted blazer by Andres Valesco – Red Cotton/Silk Pocket Square by Psycho Bunny – Double Monk Strap Shoes by Mercanti Fiorentini
It’s been hot as hell out so far this summer, but, there are still times that you may need to throw on a blazer. Reach for your summer fabrics like cotton or in the case of this outfit, linen on linen (shirt and blazer are linen). Putting together a look with different shades of blue adds a bit of depth and keeps the summer aesthetic. Also, don’t freak out if you see wrinkles in your linen because wrinkles and linen go hand-in-hand.
Red Nato Watch Strap by Cheapest Nato Straps
Red & White Spread Collar Shirt by Frank & Oak – Vintage Navy Waist Coat – Leather Navy Blue Belt by J.Fold – Double Monk Strap Shoes by Mercanti Fiorentini
Blue Pocket Square by Psycho Bunny
Blue & White Watch Strap by Cheapest Nato Straps
Photo Credit: Marina T. Peele
Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man. As of 2014, Sabir serves as a freelance brand ambassador & executive stylist for GQ Magazine & GQ Report. Outside of that partnership, Sabir serves as an independent brand consultant as well. Reach me directly at SABIR@MENSSTYLEPRO.COM