A few months ago you were introduce to the brand, Jay Butler per a “Brands To Watch” feature. During the early phases, Jay Butler only released small leather goods like card cases, wallets, key ring and valets. Just over a month ago, the brand finally dropped its much awaited footwear collection. Consisting of leather & suede loafers (drivers, horse bit & moccasins), Jay Butler had its eyes on spring.
I was able to grab a couple of pair of the Millbank Bit Loafer for review.
When loafers start popping up in every clothing brands advertisement, it’s a true sign of warm weather days to come. Being that loafers are my preferred style of shoe to wear almost all year, I decided to take a stab at the Millbank Bit Loafer from Jay Butler’s debut collection. Here’s a full run down of what I think about the shoes.
- The calf leather is soft, and yet, the construction is rigid. This rigidity gives the shoe some solid structure
- The arch support is surprisingly substantial
- They’re hand constructed and the sole are Blake Welted (you can have these kicks resoled)
- The horse bit provides enough metallic pop to break up the monotony of leather (or suede)
- They style perfectly with casual pieces like denim or chinos
- At $175, the price isn’t outrageous for the quality of the product (the Millbank Loafer is $175, prices vary for other items)
- The vamp of the is shorter than expected. The vamp is the top portion of shoe (from the toe box back). It measures 5 inches from the toe to the end of the vamp. With an extra .5 inch added the shoe would be damn near perfect. Not so much of your sock/foot would show, but, they’d still have a fair amount of breathing room.
- The heel stack is a little short. These shoes are advertised as a casual loafer, which is why the short heel stack is in place. With a .25 inch added to the heel, these shoes would hit perfection.
Based on the pros these shoes are deserving of an A grade, however; when you factor in two cons the final grade of the Millbank Bit Loafer by Jay Butler is a B. The two changes would make these already beautiful shoe a bit more aesthetically pleasing.
Shop & Save
Now Through Friday, March 13th at 11:59pm, Save 10% on your purchase with the discount code “MSP10″ at checkout!
Like what you see or have questions about these shoes? Leave your comments below! Visit www.JayButler.com to check out the full collection.
Photo Credit: Marina T. Peele
Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man. As of 2014, Sabir serves as a freelance brand ambassador & executive stylist for GQ Magazine & GQ Report. Outside of that partnership, Sabir serves as an independent brand consultant as well. Reach me directly at SABIR@MENSSTYLEPRO.COM