Suiting up in the winter is all about warm wool & flannel fabrics, but, sometime they can be a bit boring. One of my favorite fabric mills for bold pattern fabrics is Ariston andKnot Standardis tailor that carries more than their fair share of those fabrics in-house. Recently, I had the opportunity to meet with Knot Standard’s Creative Director, Lewis Malivanek to discuss menswear, booze and the Philadelphia 76ers (it was a funny conversation), but, most importantly decided to put together some windowpane pattern suiting pieces.
Touting five domestic showrooms and one international, Knot Standard give customers the option to meet with their expert clothiers for a complete hands-on experience and shop their more than 7,000 fabric selection. If you don’t have time to make it to a showroom, you can shop part of their collection onlinehere. In this post, I’ve styled a full windowpane suit & a double pane blazer — both from Knot Standard.
Wool Windowpane Ariston Fabric Suit –Knot Standard| Shawl Collar Peacoat –Natural Selection London| Denim Shirt – H&M | Boardroom Bobby Wool Tie –Armstrong & Wilson| Arrow Tie bar –Gents Mode| Guillaume II Boots –Cobbler Union| Aviator Sunglasses – Boast USA
Taking the dive into a full windowpane pattern suit takes some balls, but, can be done easily with the right fabric choice & base color. The dark grey fabric paired with the rich burgundy takes this suit from eye-soar to a sartorial masterpiece due to its pattern neutralizing effect.
Suit Details & Style Tips
- The jacket of this suit is completely unconstructed (which means there’s no lining). Being unconstructed, the jacket has a natural drape over the shoulders and molds to the body
- Spacing: Each square measures 2 x 2.5 inches wide. These dimension allow for the right amount of space to not be a dizzying pattern
- Shirt Pairing: like any suit, this windowpane pattern suit can be paired with a white shirt. To make the windowpane pattern really pop, adding a deep blue denim shirt is ideal. Plus, the texture of the denim shirt is a direct complement to the natty texture of the suit
- Versatility: break this suit up. The pants look great with a pair of white sneakers (see: Instagram)
- Jacket Buttons: the button stance is a 3 button with a two button roll (real old school)
- Pant Waistband: the waistband fastener has been extend with the belt loops removed
- Replacing the belt loops with side tabs is a smart option and looks much cleaner
Knot Standard is deserving of an A+ grade based on fabric selection, knowledge tailors, accessibility and overall style aesthetic.
Blue w/ Brown Double Windowpane #Ariston Wool Fabric Jacket –Knot Standard| Navy Vest – Forever 21 | Hemmingway Yellow Oxford Button Down –Mizzen + Main| Grey Moto Jean – Forever 21 | Boots – Johnston & Murphy | Green Leather Gloves – H&M | Fedora – Forever 21 | Custom Sunglasses – Lookmatic
The double windowpane pattern blazer is a versatile piece of outerwear that’s perfect for layering. Even though this jacket is unlined it’s extremely warm. When there’s a “warm” winter day, you can take the risk and rock this jacket as your outer piece over a thin puffer vest. The faint brown and grey coloring of the windowpane pattern are the perfect complement to the base blue color of the jacket. The blue base color acts as a grounding agent to the windowpane pattern.
Photo Credit: Marina T. Peele