Return of the Mack
Yes, it’s the Return of The Mack (scroll to the bottom for the video of the classic 90′s jam). The Mackintosh style trench coat is as classic as it comes in menswear. Bonobos released a slim, streamline and beautifully tailored trench called the “Shamus” (offered in navy or khaki). Trenches are often synonymous with detective or flasher types (to each his own); however, this trench will give you the option of choosing your “trenching” style.
If you have been a reader of Men’s Style Pro, you have seen that I have worn a variety of trench coats. Most of these trenches have been of the double-breasted variety (meaning the closing flaps overlapped, with two rows in buttons running parallel). The Shamus trench by Bonobos is a single breasted version of the popular, water-resistant coat. In my opinion, going with the single-breasted option is much more versatile than it’s double-breasted big brother.
Trick and Tips to wearing a Mack aka Water Resistant Trench:
- Don’t jump out of dark alley ways (that the calling card of a flasher).
- Rain is not necessary to wear a trench
- If you plan to wear your trench with a suit or a blazer, make sure that the trench is longer than either one.
- The most versatile length for a trench is to fall at mid-thigh
- A trench can dress up a casual look and will look perfect with a dressier look
Vintage Gloves in Hand – Jeans by Levi’s 521 Slim Taper
Spread Collar Shirt by Ratio Clothing
Knit Burgundy Tie by Nautica – Ogden Plaid Semi Spread Collar Shirt by Ratio Clothing
Rose Gold Watch By Michael Kors
Special thanks to Bonobos for the amazing trench (I promise to do something wild in it. Maybe I already have!)
Return of The Mack by Mark Morrison