One of the benefits of cooler weather is that it’s a great time to experiment with layering when putting outfits together. We’re not telling to start piling on as many pieces as you can (ie. Dere-lique a la Zoolander), however; we want to give you a basic guidelines to jump-start your layering journey.
There are a few staples pieces that you should look into as layering options over your button down shirts. A grey sweater or pull over shirt are two items to add to your wardrobe as starters pieces. You’ve probably noticed a theme on Men’s Style Pro of layering denim jackets with outfits to make them more casual and there’s no time like now to really embrace that trend. Below are some style tips to help you mastering layering, starting with grey as your base.
Style Tips For Layering With Grey
- Grey has a very large scale to it hue. Shades will be begin as light as a heather (or old school sweat shirt color) all the way to charcoal.
- Take the chance to add a pop of color with your “under” shirt choice for some character. In this feature we styled a the plaid red/blue slim washed & blue/white gingham slim washed shirts by Johnston & Murphy with the grey sweater and grey pull over.
- The safe bet is pairing your gingham button down collar shirt with a traditional sweater (see second look). You’ll get style points for pairing it with a cowl-neck collar sweater with elbow patches.
- When pairing two collar shirts, like in the first look, you “under” shirt you be a buttoned-down collar. If the collar of your “under” shirt isn’t buttoned-down and the same goes for your layering outer-piece, you neck will start to look too cumbersome.
- Ditch the tie for these looks! Take advantage of being casual.
- Just because you are doing some casual layering, that doesn’t mean that you should skimp of quality footwear. A pair of serious shoes will give you some credibility if you day turn into a night out and where you’re going has a “No Sneakers Allowed” policy.
The Denim Jacket
Charcoal Cargo Pants – Grey Popover Shirt & Orange Striped Socks by Gap |
Clayton Double Monk Strap Brown Shoe by Johnston & Murphy |
Grey cowl neck sweater by H&M
Tyndall Oxblood Wingtip Boots by Johnston & Murphy
The post was sponsored by Style Coalition and Johnston & Murphy.
Photo Credit: Michael A. Flores of Michael Anthony Flores Photography.
Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man. As of 2014, Sabir serves as a freelance brand ambassador & executive stylist for GQ Magazine & GQ Report. Outside of that partnership, Sabir serves as an independent brand consultant as well. Reach me directly at SABIR@MENSSTYLEPRO.COM