And The Sharpest Derby Spectator Award Goes To..
Hopefully, You! With a mint julep in tow
Spring party season is almost and full swing and nothing kicks it off like a derby party. Whether you’re trying to show off your personality or you’re trying something new, picking a look that stands out but doesn’t verge on Derby-costume is crucial.
To get your derby look on the right track, we’ve partnered with Tallia Orange to style 3 looks with some of their new spring pieces (all shoppable too!). And, if you’ve got a summer wedding or two on the calendar, these looks can play double-duty.
Modern Gatsby Style
Double-breast blazer + Gold Buttons + Boater Hat = Epitome Of Derby Party Ready. However; instead of going fully suit and give this look a modern take by grounding it with a pair of slightly distressed white jeans.
Why This Look Works
- Nautical Color Way: you can never go wrong when pairing navy and white.
- White Jeans: adding a neutral white jean to this look takes it from derby costume to modern derby kit.
- Cognac Leather Loafers FTW: instead of opting for suede loafer, adding a cognac pair warms up and refines this look
- Monochromatic Shirting: it’s time for your jacket & hat to be the stars of this outfit, by adding a shirt in the same base color as the jacket you’ve achieved just that
Striped Linen Blazer – Tallia Orange via Macy’s | White Cargo Chino’s – Custom | Denim Shirt – HM | Suede Loafers – Johnston & Murphy | Turquoise Ring – Degs & Sal
Home » Derby Party Fresh 3 Ways w/ Tallia Orange
Most derby looks are characterized by bold, in your face colors and patterns. So, we decided to tone it down with completely neutral pieces. If you’re the guy that tends to stay away from pastels, but, want a light and breezy option, this look will work for you.
Why This Look Works
- Neutral Tones: every guys looks good in neutrals. Plus, that subtle blue stripe in this blazer pops just enough to say spring-vibes
- Textures Matter: linen blazer, cotton chinos, denim shirt, suede shoes. That’s a truly smart-casual combination. And, with proper tailoring, this look is made for any warm weather semi formal occasion
- Show A Little Ankle: it’s good to feel a breeze on your ankles everyone once in a while. So, don’t be afraid of showing a little ankle with a slightly cropped pant
- No Tie, No Problem: this is the reason the buttoned down collar shirt was invented. Keep it casual, but, still tailored.
Linen Suited For the Occassion
Blue Striped Linen Suit – Tallia Orange via Macy’s | Knit Tie & Denim Shirt – Custom | Loafers – Johnston & Murphy | Sunglasses – Topman | Vintage Watch – Zodiac
Sometimes a derby event, garden party or of course a summer outdoor wedding requires a full suit and tie — but, you don’t have to look stiff. We all know, a striped suit means business, but, the finishing touches say I came to party (with class).
Why This Look Works
- Monochromatic: this entire look (besides footwear) are shades of blue, which looks great on mostly everyone.
- Buttons Matter: take a close look at the buttons. The ombre coloring is unique and shows that this isn’t your everyday suit. So, it’s okay to have a little fun
- Cuff & a Taper: with a two-inch cuff on the pants, you’ve added a detail shows off your style acumen. Plus, a cuff helps to keep your pants legs in place
What’s your favorite look? Leave your thoughts in the comment section below!
Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man. As of 2014, Sabir serves as a freelance brand ambassador & executive stylist for GQ Magazine & GQ Report. Outside of that partnership, Sabir serves as an independent brand consultant as well. Reach me directly at SABIR@MENSSTYLEPRO.COM