Thrifted & Gifted (The story of a $10 Suit) – Men's Style Pro | Menswear Lifestyle Blog & Shop

Thrifted & Gifted (The story of a $10 Suit)

By  |  20 Comments

To those of you that are familiar with my style philosophy, you will not be surprised that I found a $10, 100% wool double breasted suit at a local Goodwill store that I rock like it’s straight off the rack. Being an advocate of saving money, I fully support grabbing some pieces from a thrift store from time to time. There are many hidden gems that can be found at vintage, Goodwill and consignment shops. On a whim, I decided to go into a particular Goodwill store after curiously driving by it for at least one entire year. In an attempt to make this shopping trip very expedient, I rifled through some of the suits without getting to in-depth in my search.

After taking a second look, I pull this double-breasted suit out and like magic it was a 38 jacket with 32 x 30 altered pair of trousers. Thinking it was too good to be true, I tried on the suit and you would have sworn it was tailor-made for me. The only issue that I needed to address with this suit was getting the legs tapered on the trousers.

The overall lesson to be learned is that no matter what you pay for clothes, your style comes from how you carry yourself no matter what you are wearing. This suit is paired with pieces that range from $10 up to $400. As a passer-by looking at this suit, you would assume that it was the most expensive part of this outfit. Defining your personal style will ultimately help you make decision on how and where shop, which could lead to some creative and money saving ideas in the process. Below you will find some of my rules on thrifting.

Rules to Thrifting:

• Be patient. If you take your time and look through what’s available, you are bound to find something suitable.
  • Visit areas where the clientele of the thrift, goodwill or consignment shops are slightly more affluent and may be willing to part with more quality items.
  • Get you items cleaned once purchased.
  • ¬†Thrifting is a great way to keep some money in your pockets and it would be a great opportunity to donate some clothing that you no longer want too.

Check out this video about my personal style philosophy. You can watch this video in HD by click HERE (Vimeo).

Suited with a Cashmere Scarf by Psycho Bunny

Lower Half Details

Shoes by Johnston & Murphy – Cabarris Penny (Cognac)

The Stroll Details:

Custom Dress Shirt by Ratio Clothing

Wool Tie by Nautica

Rose Gold Watch by Alias Kim

The Lunch Bag

Brown Leather Lunch Bag by Logan Zane

This leather lunch bag is a stylish and “green” alternative to using paper bags everyday. It can be difficult at time to find a suitable lunch bag that fits with a suited look and this bag definitely alleviates that problem.

Sunglasses:

Tortoise-shell frame sunglasses via Ebay.com (Style Without Labels Ebay Store)

Photo/Video Credit: Marina T. Peele

Look Styled/Modeled: Sabir M. Peele

Best,

Sabir

Editor In Chief/Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man, Sabir finds his way around the web in an attempt to seek out "the cool" of #menswear. Stay updated on Men's Style Pro doings on Twitter & Instagram @MensStylePro.

20 Comments

1. Skip

December 4, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Well done!

• Sabir Peele

December 4, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Thanks Skip! I hope all is well.

- Sabir

2. Adam

December 5, 2011 at 5:45 pm

An amazing find, Sabir! Curious, what is the width of that grey wool tie that you have on?

• Sabir Peele

December 5, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Thanks. This will sound a bit funny to you that the wide at it’s widest point is that of a Post It note. I happen to be wearing that tie right now.

Best,

Sabir

3. Adam

December 5, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Ha! Referencing the post it notes that I have in my desk just now, that means it is 2 7/8″ wide. I love your measuring reference, lol.

4. ramsay

December 5, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Oh wise master and teacher, we are not worthy!!! The cut and fit speaks volumes and, honestly, looks as if you paid $1,000+.

I also have purchased items from thrift stores and, like you, have had to get the legs altered (slimmed down a bit) but in the end well worth it. Many mistake them for custom pieces…if they only knew!!!

Tremendous work.

5. BougieHippie

December 7, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Very true! True style is penny less. I got a Halston suit for 25 bucks!

• ramsay

December 7, 2011 at 10:18 pm

BougieHippie – what a steal you got! It’s all about the fit….thrifting can be addicting, especially when we manage to find these ‘diamonds in the rough’. Just today I wore my $6 Armani 2 button blazer with silver buttons (a few alterations done but well, well worth it). A few months ago I picked up an entire Hugo Boss suit for the same amount Sabir picked up his blue suit – $10. Maybe Sabir should have a link where we can post the amazing pcs picked up at local thrift shops…I think it would be interesting viewing!

6. monadeekos

December 8, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Ha! Nice, Very lovely and very smart move, but i guess i found gold better than you did, i got a tailor-made blazer for just $6 and look what i did to it

what do you think?

• ramsay

December 8, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Monadeekos – you win on the jacket – lol – but I got you on another thrift store steal: I picked up a mint condition Tumi garment bag with locks (ballistic nylon) and the matching mint condition carryon/gym bag for $15.

• Sabir Peele

January 4, 2012 at 1:12 pm

This is a great find. Bravo!

7. tat

December 9, 2011 at 1:31 am

Where can I purchase that leather lunch bag? I wear a suit daily, and have been looking for something to compliment my attire properly.

8. Pingback: Things I Like: Logan Zane NY x BKc Camo iPad Case « Men's Style Pro

9. theIVth

March 14, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Dude, that suit is clean as shit! I need to knock me off something double breasted. Good find tho

10. Vincent

April 2, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Hi Sabir,
    I have a similar DB jacket (my father’s, now mine). Sadly, the matching trousers was lost. Do you think I can wear it without the matching trousers? I am thinking grey flannel, maybe.
    Thanks for your help.

11. Alex

May 24, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Hey Sabir,

I recently took in a pair of pants to be hemmed and tapered. Since it was the first time I’ve done that, I was wondering how much we should expect to pay for such services. I know it depends on each tailor / alterations place, but there’s such a wide range of opinion on this (from what I’ve read online) (i.e. anywhere between $20 – $60). Thanks.

12. Pingback: Style Review: Luxury Leather Goods by Logan Zane | Men's Style Pro

13. Pingback: Style Review: Luxury Leather Goods by Logan Zane : Men's Styles