Coming Off The Bench
(w/o breaking a sweat)
Photography by Saeed Ferguson
Varsity Jacket – P’s & Q’s x Golden Bear | Hat & Shirt – Uniqlo | Watch – Timex | Ring – David Yurman | Cuff – Degs & Sal | White Hi-top Sneakers – Todd Snyder x PF Flyers | Pants – Hockerty | Leather Bag – Coach | Socks – The Tie Bar
Varsity jackets have been trending upward for the last five years and there’s no sign of stopping. From H&M to Coach, there isn’t a brand that hasn’t put their stamp on the classic sportswear piece. But, the real question is can this jacket replace your trusty blazer?
The real answer is — maybe. Let’s be honest, when you need to rock a blazer, you just rock that blazer. But, when you want to add a swerve to your style, a varsity might be the unexpected move to make.
How To Pick A Varsity Jacket
- Fit is king. I should hug you in the shoulders and the length should end at your waist
- Select a colorway that versatile
- If you’re going with a contrasting sleeve, remember the prior rule
- It’s wise to cop a tonal jacket (black/black) if this is your first purchase, but, it’s okay to take a slight risk with something warmer (colorize)
- If you can find a colorway that relevant to your high school (probably vintage), snag that jawn (jawn = the colloquial Philadelphia noun that means anything)
White Denim + Backpacking
Weekending. It’s the chance to rock those white jeans that you’ve been hiding in the back of your dresser, hit up brunch & bring your varsity style along for the ride. A contrasting cognac brown sleeve is the perfect complement to a pair of white jeans (adds warmth). One of the unexpected benefits of this jacket style is that it makes your upper body look fit because of the streamlined shoulders, single panel body and overall length
Scroll to the bottom of this post to see six of our favorite varsity jackets.
(this varsity jacket was originally featured in fall 2016 in MSP Dopest Sh*t)