This fall & winter seasons, it’s time to honor this year’s unsung footwear hero, the Brown Boot. You can always count on some of your favorite footwear brands to beef up their shoe game during the cold weather months and I’ve found three brands that released some quality boots. Cobbler Union, Jack Erwin and Johnston & Murphy are three footwear brands that should be applauded this year or at least given a small nod for giving brown boots some live this year. Below check out each boot styled with 3 different looks and see what catches your eye.
The Guillaume II Boot by Cobbler Union
The Guillaume II Brown Leather Boots – Cobble Union (available online) || Brown Knit Cardigan – Onassis Clothing || Custom Chalk Stripe Waist Coat & Pants – Imparali Custom Tailors || Custom Cutaway Collar Shirt – Dragon Inside || Watch – Daniel Wellington || Silk Tie – Frank & Oak
The Guillaume II is hands down my favorite boot of 2014. Even though this shoe has the heritage of a dress boot, don’t be afraid to rock them with a tailored pair of jeans or cargo pants. Cut from antique brown leather, the patina of this boot is old world classic but the silhouette is sleek and modern.
- Pair these boots with a tailored pant. With having a sleek silhouette, a wide pant leg would not flatter these beautiful shoes
- No brainer – shine them up
- Think outside the box when choosing your pants. From worn in dark wash denim jean to green cargo pants, pair them all with these boots
- Also, cuffed pants complement these boots the best
The Karnes Captoe Boot by Johnston & Murphy
Karnes Cap Toe Boots – Johnston & Murphy || Philadelphia Made Ready-To-Wear Moss Green Blazer – Commonwealth Proper || Tweed Vest – J.Crew || Plaid Shirt- Frank & Oak || 521 Jeans – Levi’s || Felt Wool Hat- Forever 21
When these boots were dropped on my doorstep, I immediately knew that Johnston & Murphy had created their best boot of all time. The Karnes captoe boot has all the details of a traditional work boot – lugged rubber sole, six-inch high collar and 9 eyelet laces. But, when you take a deeper look at the details like hand stained detailing, broguing and the wool collar — you realize that you’re wearing the incognito “dress” boot. You can call these a dress boot in a work boot’s shell.
- If you’re pairing these boots with a suit, opt for a heavy weight fabric. Think flannel, tweed or worsted wool. The weight of the suit will complement the chunkier work boot
- For the casual Friday/Date Night look, pair these boots with dark wash blue or grey denim and your favorite blazer
- The Style Challenge: Find a pair of navy jogger chinos (or wool joggers) to rock them with (brands: Marine Layer, Publish Brand, Gap, New Standard Edition)
The Jack Ankle Boot by Jack Erwin
The Jack Ankle Boot – Jack Erwin || Custom Tweed Gingham Blazer – Indochino || Spread Collar White Shirt – Hugh & Crye || Hunter Green Herringtone Wool Tie – Mr. Nice Tie x Armstrong & Wilson Collaboration || 508 Jeans – Levi’s || Gold Frame Aviator Sunglasses – James Dean Eyewear || Brown tipped pocket square – The Tie Bar
The Jack Ankle boot by Jack Erwin in chocolate suede gives off a rockstar vibe — almost instantly. Sometimes referred to as a Jodhpur style boot, these kicks are extremely versatile, but, look best with a work in pair of jeans.
- These boots are made to be worn with jeans and a t-shirt, but….
- Don’t be afraid to pair them with a blazer and tie for a bit of style juxtaposition
- When pairing them with a suit, opt for a suit with a bit of texture to complement the nap of the suede
Photography – Marina T. Peele @cantwinklefty
Styling/Modeling/Copy – Sabir M. Peele
Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man. As of 2014, Sabir serves as a freelance brand ambassador & executive stylist for GQ Magazine & GQ Report. Outside of that partnership, Sabir serves as an independent brand consultant as well. Reach me directly at SABIR@MENSSTYLEPRO.COM