Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has…
One of the big menswear trends this summer is the striped polo. Not to take anything away from the striped polo, but, we think you should show its solid colored big brother some love this summer too! The average guy will usually throw on a polo shirt to play a round of golf, grab a few beers with the fellas or just throw one on when heading out the door to take care of the last-minute errands. We tasking guys everywhere to make the polo a true staple in your summer wardrobe this year.
In our search for a retro style version of the polo, we stumbled upon the Heritage Slim Jack Polo by Original Penguin. of the Heritage Jack Polo by Original Penguin (featured in this post) is that it’s made from a super soft pima cotton and breathes extremely well in warmer weather. In the production of this style of polo, the end result is a flat, not highly textured finish that resembles something similar to your traditional dress shirt. The non-texture finished makes this polo extremely versatile with the ability to be worn very casually or as an option to be paired with a suit. Yes, a polo shirt can be work with a suit and is an excellent option for any guy attending a summer garden party, has a more casual summer work environment or you just want to try something new.
Style Tips For Rocking A Solid Polo Shirt
- Use your polo as a grounding agent for bold blazers or a bold suit (see looks 1 & 2 below).
- Sleeves: proper length should hit mid bicep.
- Of course a short sleeve shirt is a great way to keep cool during the warmer months, so don’t be afraid to knock out a few push ups (invite everyone to the GUN SHOW!!).
- You may have put some time in at the gym or at home working out and hopefully the attention you put into your back and shoulders to fill out your polo shirts well. Polo shirts are typically constructed with broader shoulders and tighter torsos, think T-shape or swimmers body.
- If you’re going for a retro look, pair your solid polo with a shadow plaid, glen plaid or chalk strip trouser.
- The Tuck Rule: Yes, you can tuck your polo shirt in, however; you will want to opt for a shirt with a tailored torso that will contour to your body.
- If you are wearing a casual suit (cotton or linen), don’t be afraid to pull your jacket sleeves up some. The look is a bit more playful than being completely suit & tie.
Summer Geezer Garden Party Fresh
Red Pima Cotton Polo Shirt via Original Penguin UK | Striped Cotton Suit by H&M | Navy Straw Hat by H&M
Navy & White Nylon Nato 18mm Watch Strap via CheapestNatoStraps.com | Timex Easy Reader Watch | Linen Navy Pocket Square via Dragon Inside |
Canvas Sneakers by Lands End Canvas
Male Patterned Boldness
Plaid Cotton Blazer by Jey Coleman | White Chinos by Bonobos | Joseph Marc Gold Rimmed Aviator Sunglasses via Coastal.com | Custom Single Monk Strap Shoe by Mantorii.com
Pima Cotton Eclipse Heritage Jack Polo Shirt by Original Penguin UK | Tan Nubuck Belt by Frank & Oak
Pima Cotton Heritage Jack Polo by Original Penguin UK | Custom Glen Plaid Trousers by Imparali | Ray-ban Blonde Tortoise Sunglasses via Coastal.com
Tassel Loafer via Johnston & Murphy
Photography by Marina T. Peele (@CantWinklefty via Instagram)
Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man. As of 2014, Sabir serves as a freelance brand ambassador & executive stylist for GQ Magazine & GQ Report. Outside of that partnership, Sabir serves as an independent brand consultant as well. Reach me directly at SABIR@MENSSTYLEPRO.COM