(all text in burgundy is clickable)
Recently, Manhattan-based menswear line Tompkins, launched as the brain child of founder & designer Clay Tompkins. Over the past few weeks I’ve been in correspondence with Mr. Tompkins. Through many conversations, he expressed his passion for designing quality menswear pieces at bespoke levels, that can be purchased without the bespoke wait-time. Below is a full review of the brand and pieces offered.
Spread Collar Gingham Shirt & Grey flannel trousers by Tompkins
- Who: Tompkins – www.TompkinsCollection.com
- What: Dress Shirts and Trousers
- Special Features:
- Shirts: This spread collar shirt comes with built-in collars stays, and a hidden “Party Pocket” under the left underarm (You can also use it as a hidden iPhone holster). The best feature is the “Cocktail Cuff” that simulates a French cuff without the need for cuff links.
- Side note: the “Party Pocket” is called the “Johnny Pocket” by the Brits. It’s the place you stash your condoms.
- Trousers: They are made from amazing twill and wool fabrics. The side tabs for waist adjustment are a great touch (especially if you’re an anti-belt guy). The lapped side seams really add a bit of definition and elongation to your legs (huge plus if you are a shorter guy).
- Added Bonus: All of these pieces are produced in the United States, with factories in Brooklyn, NY and New Jersey.
Men’s Style Pro Opinion of Tompkins
There are a lot of things I like about the Tompkins brand, but, the best is the quality of the garments. A well-constructed pair of pants is often hard to come by, and I will say that Tompkins has made the perfect pant. The weight of the fabric, the side tab adjustment, and the fact that they come unfinished so that my tailor can hem them to my liking is key.
At first, I was thrown off by the hidden pocket under the left arm of the shirt. But I grew to like it as I started putting random things in there, primarily business cards. Traditionally, I am a French Cuff guy, but the “Cocktail cuff” did sell me. If you look in the bottom picture, you will see that I’ve paired this shirt with a blue blazer to illustrate what the shirt cuff will look like layered. I think the “Cocktail cuff” is a great option for the guy that doesn’t have cufflinks or doesn’t have time for cuff links. In all, Tompkins delivers great shirts and trousers, and Mr. Clay Tompkins truly is passionate about the quality of his brand. You can see the passion in each detail of the pieces.
- Sit Down in Your Shirt When out trying on different button-up… (putthison.com)