If there’s one thing that screams, “SPRING!!!!” in terms of men’s footwear, it would have to be the arrival of white buck shoes! White bucks instantly remind me of the Kentucky Derby, seersucker and drinking heavily loaded lemonade out of mason jars. Since all of these memories can often be seen as gimmicky (or potentially lead to gimmicky kind of outfits), I decided to show you three different ways to incorporate white bucks into your regular wardrobe.
Growing up, I was a huge sneaker head. After falling out of my Jordan phase in 1998, I turned my sneaker game toward all white Air Force I’s and the Adidas Forum Lows in all white. As I’ve gotten older and my style palette has grown up, my shoe collection has switched from sneakers to classic dress shoes. Take it from me, when I added these McPherson bucks to my wardrobe it brought back the nostalgia of wearing white sneakers as a teen while showing some grown man steez (yeah I said steez). Before taking the leap in the land of white bucks, read these tips below.
- White bucks have the same aesthetic as a pair of white sneakers. White sneakers pair well with denim, shorts and cotton suits. Substitute your white sneakers for a pair of white bucks for a more refine look.
- Don’t forget to treat your shoes with a water-proofer and dirt repellent. After all, you are wearing white suede shoes and they will get dirty.
- White bucks are a great canvas to experiment with different color shoes laces.
- Look for a pair of bucks with a slimmer silhouette. Some brands make bucks that are so chunky that they look like orthopedic shoes (not a good look).
- Seersucker and cotton suits are great complement with white bucks. This combo really goes well, and is perfect for the spring and summer seasons.
1. Forrest Gumpin’
Khaki Suit by Sons of Intrigue – Cotton White Pocket Square by Merona
White Wingtip Bucks by Johnston & Murphy
2. Short Circuit
Photo Credit: Marina T. Peele
Follow Johnston & Murphy via Twitter @JohnstonMurphy