Bring Life To Those Cold, Grey Days
As the winter continues to drag on, a quick trip to a tropical location is the easiest to save your sanity. Recently, on a family trip to Puerto Rico (my wife’s family is from there), I took a stroll through Old San Juan to basque in the sun and of course the beautifully painted facades of the buildings.
Being my second trip to P.R., I’ve had the imprint of the these vibrant colors in my head for some time. So, I knew that packing at least one look inspired by these hues would be the right move.
Photography Marina T. Peele
Floral Silk/Cotton Blend Shirt – 28 Palms | Clubmaster-style Tortoise Shades – Warby Parker | Straw Hat – Dobbs 1908 | Custom Wheat Linen Trousers – Oliver Wicks | Tassel Loafer- Paul Evans NY Mid-Century Watch – Todd Snyder x Timex
It’s easy to put together an aloha-shirt look and fall into “I’m a tourist on vacation” garb. So, to avoid being a walking billboard of vacation sadness, here’s a few tips to executing a leisure trip worthy fit:
How To “Untourist” Your Tropical Style
- The aloha shirt is trending like crazy, which means you should definitely wear one. However; find a slimmer fit or even have the torso tapered slightly. This isn’t your dad’s T.Bahama style shirt. Ballooning shirts are a sign of a last minute purchase
- Role your sleeves to mid-bicep: See any musician/actor of the moment or the villian in the 2nd Karate Kid movie
- Find colors and patterns that complement your skin and also the location. This isn’t really a time for novelty shirts with big lobsters all over them.
- Skip the light wash (almost white) linen pants and opt of a deeper wheat color. Also, remember a tailoring goes a long way, so taper those pants from the knee down. It’s called a progressive taper.
- Unless you’re on the beach (where you’ll probably be barefoot), a nice loafer or minimal white sneaker will keep the look clean and cool
Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man. As of 2014, Sabir serves as a freelance brand ambassador & executive stylist for GQ Magazine & GQ Report. Outside of that partnership, Sabir serves as an independent brand consultant as well. Reach me directly at SABIR@MENSSTYLEPRO.COM