This feature is sponsored by Acura Financial Services (AFS). All content and opinions are that of Men’s Style Pro.
Mr. 9 to 5
When I graduated from college there were few things that I knew I needed to buy – a well-tailored versatile blue suit & a car. With a limited budget and putting most of my money into my car, I settled for an off the rack, fast fashion suit that was within my budget. When it came to the car department, I wish I’d known about the Acura College Grad Program to help keep a few extra dollars in my pocket. Acura Financial Services is offering recent and upcoming qualified grads $500 toward the purchase or lease of a new Acura through the Look the Part campaign. Grads can use the $500 they save to update their wardrobe and Look the Part of a working professional.
When Acura reached out about working with me on a style feature based around their college graduate campaign I thought, wouldn’t it be great to go out and buy that versatile heighten blue suit that would truly make me look the part of the professional that I’ve become. Making an investment in a versatile suit is just like making an invest in a luxury vehicle – you’ll want something that you can get great mileage out of and look amazing while doing it. With the $500 I might’ve saved with this program, I headed over to Suitsupply here in Philly and purchased the Washington Half-lined stripe blue suit for $499 (put that $1 back in my pocket). It made sense to link two in the know brands like Acura & Suitsupply, both with an eye for innovation & style when coming up with this feature. Here are three looks all using the Washington blue suit to give you some inspiration on how to look the part as you suit up this fall.
Make It A Date
The same suit you were rocking from 9 to 5 can pull double-duty as a date-night look. The key to pulling off a suit on a date is to make it a bit more casual. When pulled together appropriately, wearing a suit on a date makes it look like you care to look the part. Trust me, your date will appreciate the effort.
Suit Up For Dinner Tips
- Ditch the tie and the white pocket square. Unless you going to a formal dinner
- A plaid shirt is the perfect way to peacock without screaming look at me
- Add a layer. A neutral cardigan provides a cozy style upgrade and makes your suit seem more relaxed
- Add a loafer or a sneaker. A traditional slip or monk strap loafer is an easy option for making your suit seem less stuffy. Depending on the date option, a plain white, black or grey leather low top sneaker work just as well
Working For The Weekend
You’ve worked hard to make it to the weekend, but, that doesn’t mean your style should fall apart when Saturday rolls around. A great way suit up your weekend style is to partner it with sporty items like a sweat shirt. You may be traveling for a weekend wedding, business trip or you just want to put together a brunch look that would make anyone proud to dine with you.
- Find your sporty balance. Pairing a grey athletic sweat shirt with your suit? Keep the look refined with a plain Oxford shoe with some texture (i.e., scotch/pebble grain leather)
- Accessories: a watch with a striped nylon Nato strap is sporty and sleek. For a flash of classic flair, add a gold metal watch
- Travel Bag: ditch your nylon gym bag and add a luxurious leather duffle. Remember you’re wearing a suit, which means keeping your travel gear luxurious is important too
Now you’re armed with the style knowledge to help you figure out how to spend that $500 you might save with Acura college graduate program to look the part. For more info on the program, check out http://www.acurafinancialservices.com/finance/college-grad-program.
Photo Credit: Marina T. Peele @cantwinklefty
Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man. As of 2014, Sabir serves as a freelance brand ambassador & executive stylist for GQ Magazine & GQ Report. Outside of that partnership, Sabir serves as an independent brand consultant as well. Reach me directly at SABIR@MENSSTYLEPRO.COM