Black, White & Bold Outerwear 2 Ways
Rest assured, rocking bold outerwear will get you noticed — no matter the season. However, before you reach for that bright orange parka, let’s get back to basics and try a black & white topcoat.
This post features two black & white topcoats with very dramatic differences in patterns. With both athletic & tailored elements highlighted, both looks bridge the style gap for most guys.
The Tailored Punch
Black & White Pattern Coat – BWC Garments | Tie – An Ivy Copenhagen | Black Tie Bar – The Tie Bar | Bengal Striped Shirt – Knot Standard | Black Suit – Enzo Custom Clothiers | Black Kiltie Loafer – Cobble & Hyde
Just a few weeks ago, I saw this coat while attending BWC Garments’ pop-up at Ubiq in Philly. Suddenly, I went into my typical black hole of thoughts;. how would I style it, what kind of guy would wear it and how would people react to it? So, I copped it!
Here’s a quick synopsis to answer the aforementioned questions:
- Styling this coat is easy, however, pairing it with a tailored suit really sets it off.
- For starters, keep the look monochromatic. It’s fairly simple to pull off and allows the focus to be on pattern play
- Speaking of patterns, this jacket is the coat is clearly the centerpiece of any look, so pay attention to the scale of your accessories (neck tie) and shirt
- It’s cut like a well-tailored suit, but, don’t be afraid to be it with jeans and a hoodie too. It’ll elevate just about any look
- People love this coat and I was pleasantly surprised when I spotted a stylish young lady wearing it as an oversized jacket
Photo series by Marina T. Peele @cantwinklefty
Early Spring Checks
Are you running errands? Or are just about that cozy lifestyle? Either way, you don’t have to look like you just rolled out of bed when you’re rocking your favorite sweats. Thankfully, today’s athleisure wear is just a slim and tailored as your workwear and adding a lightweight patterned topcoat will elevate your look.
Getting back to classic patterns, bold outerwear doesn’t have to be so bold — which is evident in this houndstooth plaid topcoat. When this feature was shot, it was shortly after a late-march snowstorm, however, it was 52 degrees out. Luckily, this coat is light and ideal for layering,
With a shorter length (35 inches) and a structure like that of a tailored blazer, this pairing of athleisure and traditional menswear are an ideal complement to each other.
Photo Series by Lauren McGrath