Welcome to Black Suit Week. I’ll be covering 3 ways to style this custom double-breasted suit from Oliver Wicks over the week and another special feature with Ministry of Supply.
First up, the super casual styled double-breasted suit.
Custom Premium Black Double Breasted Suit – Oliver Wicks | He-Man Character Clash Hoodie – Todd Snyder x Dreamworks | Mid Top Black & White Leather Sneakers – Axel Arigato | Metropolitan + Smartwatch – Timex
It can be argued that the black suit is highly underutilized. Reserved for weddings, funerals and for some reason, it’s often a guys first suit — the black suit has its own seasonal calendar. Most of those occasions are highly formal & the dress code is regimented – black suit with a black tie and black shoes. Now couple that formality with the old world styling of a the double-breasted suit jacket and most guys are completely befuddled.
Working in reverse, let’s talking about dressing this suit down so you can get some weekend wear out of it. If you’re a menswear traditionalist, this look is going to ruffle your feathers. For the guy that’s looking to get the most out of their wardrobe this post is right for you.
- When tailored appropriately, a double-breasted jacket can be worn open with billowing like a cape.
- Think of styling this suit the same way you’d style a black leather jacket & jeans
- Are you a hoodie guy? Well this is the time to suit & hoodie, but, do it mono-chromatically. Just remember, this isn’t the time to pull out your ratty college hoodie. Also, a pullover hoodie will complement this look better than a zip-up (less button to zipper interference)
- Footwear: you can dive head first into the sneaker with a suit look here. A minimal black leather sneakers is will complement the look best. To add color, a white sole sneakers will pull the look together
- In the end, each element of this look has it roots in the formal qualities of styling a black suit, you’ve just relaxed the individual pieces
Stay Tuned To Wednesday For the Next DB Suit Feature.
Photography: Marina T. Peele
Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man. As of 2014, Sabir serves as a freelance brand ambassador & executive stylist for GQ Magazine & GQ Report. Outside of that partnership, Sabir serves as an independent brand consultant as well. Reach me directly at SABIR@MENSSTYLEPRO.COM