During the last weekend in May, I made a visit to NYC for a weekend stay. The occasion – the Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic, where I was doing some social media coverage of the event forGQ Report.Besides attend an eventful polo match, I had the privilege of staying at theW New York – Downtown. In my travels, I’ve stayed at a number of outstanding hotels, all with varying levels of awesomeness. To say the W New York – Downtown has jumped into my top 5 hotels to visit is an understatement.
Situated a stones throw away from 1 World Trade Center (s/o to my GQ family) & the World Trade Memorial Park, the W Hotel has amazing views of downtown from all angles. My view was from the 11th and it was breath-taking. Below you’ll find a breakdown of my favorite features of the W New York -Downtown:
- The Spectacular Rooms: Architecturally, the rooms are a mixed between modern & retro. With with acrylic panels adjoined to dark work closet space — the rooms feel like what I imagine future will actually look like. Think minimal & open without being barren.
- Living Room Bar + Terrace:Before you comment below asking, why this hotel makes it into my top 5 hotels — the answer will be because of the Living Room Bar + Terrace. Located on the 5th floor, the LRB+T for short, is a artist’s dream. First, take a gander at the ceiling. Draped in a LED curtain of lights designed by GRAFT, the ceiling resembles a pimped out cave (in the best way possible).
- The outdoor terrace faces 1 World Trade and features plush seating, abstract designed rugs and an outdoor bar.
- The Living Room area feature luxury leather seating, wi-fi and complimentary coffee, tea and water. To be honest, I almost fell asleep there — it’s mad cozy.
- The Living Room Bar also features a DJ each weekend, so you can definitely turn you visit into a party without leaving the confines of the hotel
- Also, the bar has amazing selection of spirits, plus an super-friendly staff of bartenders that can make drink
- FIT: The onsite gym, FIT, gets high mark for a hotel gym. Stocked with free weight, stationary equipment, lifting machines & my favorite boxing area — I was able to get in a full & exhausting workout
- P.A.W – Pets Are Welcome: I didn’t bring my dogWarner, but, if I wanted to the hotel would accommodate