The Routine: Men’s Style Pro Becoming Men’s Style Pro – Men's Style Pro | Menswear Lifestyle Blog & Shop

The Routine: Men’s Style Pro Becoming Men’s Style Pro

By  |  21 Comments

Recently, a client of mine asked me, “How do you put your looks together? Is there a set formula that you follow or is it just intuition?” Since we were having a video conversation using Skype, I didn’t want the racing thoughts in my mind to show up as confusion on my face. With a somewhat quick and not too rehearsed answer, I responded, “When I put my outfits together I almost always have a concept of how I want to look in mind, but, I never know exactly what I want to wear. The details of every outfit that I wear usually come to me right when I wake up and I grab random pieces that complete my idea and complement each other.” Seeming satisfied with that answer, we moved forward with the consultation.

As a man that prides himself on being well put-together, I decided to take you through a part of my process of getting ready in the morning. The funny thing is that when I get ready I operate in a robotic fashion that is comparable to a printing press machine. Some things that you need to know about my neurotic sense of style:

• It takes me 10 minutes to get dressed.
  • Ironing my clothes is one of my favorite things to do in life and is very relaxing. When possible I iron my wife’s clothes too!
  • When I lay in bed in the morning I visualize what’s in my closet and that’s how I decide what I am going to wear.
  • Just about 32 pairs of shoes in my closet.
  • I prefer clothes with clean lines.
  • I don’t take my style to seriously, but, most people think I do.
  • Strongly believe that when a woman compliments your style, you are doing something right! Be sure to thank her.
  • I will always lay out my clothes on the bed and stare at them for a solid minute before putting them on (just give my last thumbs up before putting them on).

Linen Blazer by Andrew Velasco (via Ebay for $12) – Gingham Spread Collar Shirt & Loop Belt by H&M – Calfornia Knit Wool Tie via ebay (1st one I purchased 4 years ago) – Khaki Trouser from suit by Sons of Intrigue – Orange Socks by J.Crew

Before heading to bed, I do my best to watch the local news to see what’s going on in the world and to check the weather. My style is greatly influenced by my environment and knowing what the skies will bring is slightly important. Being an “east coaster”, I am use to harsh winters and extremely hot summer; however, this unseasonably warm winter has me tinkering with my seasonally warm-weather gear a bit earlier than expected. Mid-February, 65 degrees and sunny lead me in the direction of rocking a linen, double-breasted blazer and khaki trousers to work last week and I couldn’t have been happier.

Ushering in the Spring

Shades via Ebay (around $9)

Blue & White Cotton Pocket Square by Merona from Target

Often, I carry a leather notebook around with me to jot down my ideas on concepts for my site, future business endeavors or if I want to draw something. As a kid, I considered myself a sketch artist for a time period. During my middle school years I was a comic artist for the school’s newspaper. Keeping myself in check, I am not Picasso, however; I can definitely draw up some figures in menswear in a heartbeat.

Customizable Notebook by ARC from Staples – Rose Gold Watch By Michael Kors – Cabarris Penny Loafers by Johnston & Murphy

Photo Credit: Marina T. Peele

Thanks for reading and getting deeper into the mind of Men’s Style Pro,

Sabir M. Peele

Twitter: @MensStylePro – Email: Sabir@MensStylePro.com

Editor In Chief/Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man, Sabir finds his way around the web in an attempt to seek out "the cool" of #menswear. Stay updated on Men's Style Pro doings on Twitter & Instagram @MensStylePro.

21 Comments

1. BougieHippie

February 27, 2012 at 3:48 am

Good accessories. I as well love ironing but it dont take me 10min to get dressed. Do you count grooming and prepping?

• Sabir Peele

February 27, 2012 at 10:13 am

Well including those things, probably 15 minutes. I was thinking prepping, ironing and dressing.

-Sabir

2. barneyabishop

February 27, 2012 at 10:39 am

Love the cut on the blazer. It makes me want to get a double breasted one.

• Sabir Peele

February 27, 2012 at 10:43 am

Hey Barney,

Yeah, I am a huge fan of this db. With the price being so low, I had to purchase it. I hope things are well on your end.

- Sabir

3. Florent

February 27, 2012 at 10:56 am

Looking dapper !

4. Mauri Richberg

February 27, 2012 at 11:49 am

The joy of daily dressing is an art. Life lived well and simply. I enjoy this article. Thank you for sharing.

5. ramsay

February 27, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Very nice Sabir…….one thing we can all take from this is that being confident in how we dress will make us a leader and not a follower. You do an excellent job mixing things up a bit – great advise all of us can take from you. And yes, like you, I love to iron……in fact, I do the ironing at my house and always get compliments from the ladies. Thanks once again.

6. Sam Jacobs

February 27, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Funny, I have those same orange socks. Two pairs, in fact. I also find it interesting that you find ironing to be relaxing. It’s weird – I’m not one of those guys that enjoys a massage. I’d rather get a shoe shine, get a hair cut, or believe it or not, wash dishes. My wife appreciates the last one too.

7. Troy

February 27, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I like checking this out every now and then, you’ve definitely got some great material on here. Let’s plan a consultation within the next month or two, right in time for the Spring. Great post!

8. Immanuel Wilkins

February 28, 2012 at 11:18 am

What thrift stores do you shop at?

• Sabir Peele

February 28, 2012 at 11:24 am

My primary second hand spot is Ebay.com. In terms of thrift stores I will hit up Greene Street Consignment in the Manayunk Section of Philly and Buffalo Exchange in Center City Philly. Goodwill has some gems as well.

- Sabir

9. Anonymous

February 28, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Hey Sabir Just a question. I remember a long time ago you had mentioned in a post that you had to use an Andis trimmer instead of a regular razor for shaving so that you wouldn’t get irritation and razor bumps. Well in the video you’re shaving using a razor. So are they’re any products you can recommend to prevent or minimize irritation and razor bumps while using a razor?

Truth be told I really like the smooth shave a razor gives but so far I haven’t found a solution to the razor irritation yet.

RC

• Sabir Peele

February 28, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Hi RC,

I did mention my use of the Andis T trimmer instead of razors in the past. Two weeks ago, I decided to go with a tradtional razor for that smoother shave as well. In terms of razor bumps, I use a “bump down” lotion by Barc.

- Sabir

10. Anonymous

March 29, 2012 at 1:40 am

What size blazer did you purchase?

• Sabir Peele

March 29, 2012 at 10:37 am

I actually have two of the same exact blazers. One is a small and one is a medium. The one from this psot is a small.

- Sabir

11. a life suited

April 4, 2012 at 12:25 am

Reblogged this on alifesuited.

12. AFJ

April 9, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Sleeves are too long
    Shoe are too big

13. Jon

April 19, 2012 at 9:34 pm

This website is just awesome. I’m really looking forward to reading through the posts! So, am I out of my mind, or is that blazer 15 dollars? Seems too good to be true. Thoughts?

• Sabir Peele

April 30, 2012 at 12:48 am

Hey Jon,

You are not out of your mind, this blazer was closer to $12 to be exact.

Best,

Sabir

14. mensstylepoint

July 17, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Sabir,

Love the site. Nice entry. I revisit this one from time to time. Can you explain what you mean by “clean lines”?

15. Yusuf

January 29, 2013 at 9:07 am

I find ironing relaxing as well. Gardening too. Good read.

Comments