Bold Suit, An Everyday Power Move
Has this brief bout of warmer weather put your style in an experimental mood? Is there a bold suit in your closet that you’ve bought, tried on and loved the idea of wearing — but, you’ve never taken the leap?
It’s time to jump! We’re now in the era of anything goes. You can a minimalist or maximalist (or anything in between) while navigating the world like a boss. Today, we’ll focus on being a bold suit wearing semi-maximalist — two ways.
Photography by Lauren McGrath
The Full Bold Suit
Custom Ariston Fabric Windowpane Suit – Knot Standard | Winston Glasses – Warby Parker | Cutaway Collar Shirt – Trashness | Navy Knit Tie & Pocket Square – Oliver Wicks | Bordeaux Pebble Grain & Calf Leather Double Monkstrap Shoes – Tobox (Philly) | Croco Watch – Kapten & Son
[dropcap size=big]L[/dropcap]et’s take the bull by the horns and identify what makes it easy to wear a full windowpane suit. It’s the charcoal gray base color that makes this suit work. Typically, gray base suits that are adorned with a windowpane or glen plaid pattern will stand out for all the right reasons.
Here are a few tips to pulling off this suited look without peacocking too hard.
- You can never go wrong with a crisp white shirt
- Select a windowpane color that is rich, but, not whimsical. Stick with blues, contrasting grays & burgundy
Custom Ariston Fabric Windowpane Suit Jacket – Knot Standard | Distressed Jeans – Gap | Cutaway Collar Shirt – Trashness | Navy Knit Tie & Pocket Square – Oliver Wicks | Bordeaux Pebble Grain & Calf Leather Double Monkstrap Shoes – Tobox | Oversized Chrono Watch – Timex
One question that MSP receives from guys is high to wear a suit jacket with jeans for a casual Friday look. To make it easier, the top half of this look and shoes are exactly the same. We swapped out the windowpane suit pants for a pair of distress jeans. Below are a few tips to executing this look.
- If you’re planning to wear this windowpane blazer look to the office, opt for non-distressed jeans. Also, think about your office setting and determine whether you should be wearing dark rinse or light was denim. Dark rinse denim will mimic the look of a suit pant and will be easier to pull off than a light wash
- Jacket length matters! Pairing a suit jacket with jeans isn’t as simple as it sounds. Shorter suit jackets complement denim better and are more modern.
- Pay attention to texture and details. That sharkskin and other high shine suit jackets do not complement denim at all. Cotton, tweed and flannel jackets pick up the texture of the denim jeans perfectly