Brown tweed is the epitome of Geezer Fabric! Images of depression-era workers or English countryman come to mind when this tough fabric is top of mind. And we can’t forget the quintessential college professor-look. For a modern approach the post features two ways to rock a brown tweed suit.
Photography by Lauren McGrath
Brown Tweed Windowpane Custom Suit Jacket – Tailor 4 Less | Green Wool Tie – Mr. Nice Tie Collab | Pink Striped Shirt – Trashness | Green Sea Dragon Watch – Zodiac | Dark Rinse Jeans – Sebastian McCall | Custom Green Suede Shoes – Jaimie Jacobs
There’s a chance you’ve gone through a phase during the first few years in college where you thought rocking a tweed jacket would make your look smart and more mature. So, you hauled-ass to the nearest thrift store and grabbed the best-fitting jacket you could find. Realistically, you walked out with that boxy jacket that someone’s grandpa wore a half-century earlier. To guide you in the right direction, here are a few tips to avoiding the pitfalls of brown tweed suiting, while achieving a new age tailored professor-look.
- Fit Is Most Important – as with any suit, fit is key — tweed suiting benefits the most from proper tailing. Tapering the torso gives your upper body shape, the shoulders need to hug your like grandma does over the holidays. Lastly, the overall length should be shortened to where you thumb knuckle joins your hand.
- Patterns Make It Better – a pattern tweed jacket makes a great suit separate. Colors like orange, blue & green complement brown tweed the best.
- Add Casual Details – patch pockets are useful and streamline the jacket better than traditional flap pockets.
- Dark Denim – brown tweed’s rough texture is the ideal complement for dark rinse denim. And, you’ll have an fail safe pairing with the navy blue windowpane pattern too!
The Full Brown Tweed Suit
Brown Tweed Windowpane Custom Suit Jacket – Tailor 4 Less | Rugby Striped Socks – J.Crew | Farringdon Brown Wingtip Oxfords Shoes – Cobble & Hyde | Striped Shirt – Thomas Pink | Gold Watch – Timex | Pocket Square – Drakes London
Home » Brown Tweed & Windowpane: Two Ways To Be The Freshest Geezer
You’re dealing with a dense fabric when it comes to tweed, which means suiting up can be cumbersome. Combine that with a somewhat bold windowpane pattern and you’re potentially in a heap of what-the-hell. Resembling a semi-stylish potato sack is not the goal, let’s go in the English businessman direction.
- Complimentary Color Palette – brown & blue are sartorial best friends, so pair them together.
- Nods To Heritage – pairing red & blue rugby stripe socks with brown tweed suiting is collegiate and adds a fresh pop of color to the look
- Slim The Pants – as mentioned before, tweed is a bulky fabric — tapered the legs will give the pants shapes and make the overall silhouette more modern
Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man. As of 2014, Sabir serves as a freelance brand ambassador & executive stylist for GQ Magazine & GQ Report. Outside of that partnership, Sabir serves as an independent brand consultant as well. Reach me directly at SABIR@MENSSTYLEPRO.COM