Because, you’ve got enough grey & blue suits in your closet
A Little Business
Photography: Austin Horton
Adding one suit to your wardrobe that is wedding, drinks & party ready is worth the investment — so go with a wine colored hue that can pull triple duty. Over the past few years the burgundy suit has been a red carpet staple & even if you’re not accepting any awards, the deep saturated suit is a an unexpected flash of style.
A burgundy suit may not work in the traditional corporate environment but, with a few tweaks you could crush the office and then head to a gala afterwards (the latter might not happen, maybe you could crash one).
- Opt for a mini check or a black & white bengal striped shirt. A stark white shirt is too formal
- Adding knit tie keep gives this look more personality and adds a casual vibe. Stripes are optional, but, their a well-received suggestion
You’re taking a style risk by rocking a burgundy suit, so don’t be afraid to add more flash with a micro pattern shirt. Why do micro patterns work? From far away, the pattern looks solid and they’re not too “in your face”.
- This look is great for an evening party, so ditch the tie
- Colors are key. Navy, tan, oliver green & red should be your go to choices
Take a cue for the 70’s and rock a turtleneck sweater with this suit, but, be sure to lighten up your color palette. The tan sweater is a neutral contrast to the rich burgundy of the suit and complements the buttons and shoes almost perfectly.
- Maximalism is key! Go all the way and add some gold accessories to this look (i.e., gold watch).
- A pair of blonde tortoise shades keeps the look sleek and festive without being costumey
Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man. As of 2014, Sabir serves as a freelance brand ambassador & executive stylist for GQ Magazine & GQ Report. Outside of that partnership, Sabir serves as an independent brand consultant as well. Reach me directly at SABIR@MENSSTYLEPRO.COM