Its holiday party season and most importantly, New Year Eve’s parties are looming. These days, everyone throwing fancy-ish soirees at their homes or renting venues to throw Gatsby-like affair – which means no slubbing it this year. Instead of rocking that same black suit (that you only wear during NYE or funerals), let’s throw on an ivory tuxedo jacket.
Yes — that’s right, you I’m suggesting that you rock an ivory tuxedo jacket this holiday party season. No, you’re not going to look like a high school prom reject or an early 2000’s NBA rookie draft pick. Here’s your chance to stand out in the crowd and make the most stylish impression this New Year’s Eve. The post features the Bonobos Ivory Flannel Tuxedo Jacket styled 3 ways.
The New Black Tie
For some guys, the most dreaded words to hear come holiday party season is — Black Tie Attire Required. When it comes to New Year Eve parties, the seriousness of black tie can be stretched to one’s own interpretation because once a few drinks start flowing, no one really care. What that really means is have some fun with it.
Black Tie Styling with a Twist
- You’ve already committed to rocking the ivory tuxedo jacket, so that’s step one
- Step two: ditch the traditional white tuxedo shirt and pair your jacket with a wash blue cotton tuxedo shirt. If you can’t find one, a washed cotton denim or chambray shirt will do the trick
- The rich blue color is the perfect contrast to the black & ivory colors in your look
- The colder months call for heavier fabrics like this wool knit bow tie. The knit texture will complement the wash cotton shirt, flannel jacket & wool slippers
- You probably have a pair of black suit pants, so that’ll be an easy pairing. Feel like going all the way formal? Add a pair of black tuxedo pants
- The kicker — wool slippers. A pair of wool slippers can top off the look, especially if they’re in a matching color. Plus, they’re an instant conversation starter
The Sartorial Rule Maker
Ivory Flannel Tuxedo Jacket – Bonobos | Black Merino Wool Turtleneck Sweater – H&M | Plaid Wool Pocket Square – Armstrong & Wilson | Plaid Wool Pants – H&M | Custom Whole Cut Oxford Shoes – Incedo Shoes | Glasses – Forever 21 | Gold Watch – Peugeot | Black & Grey James Bond Nato Strap – Cheapest Nato Straps
For the party where the dress code is “fancy” use a bit of sartorial creative license and try something new. This isn’t the time to go full tuxedo, but, you should still dress up your look and respect the party dress code. Create your own rules and ditch the shirt & neck tie for a fine gauge turtleneck sweater. It’s a look that you’ll see every NBA guys adopting, so be ahead of the trend. And of course, be the guy that shows up with proper libations.
- To differentiate from the tuxedo look, opt for a glen plaid wool dress pant. This will had some dimension to your look and some visible texture
- A whole cut black leather Oxford shoe will refine this look. Save your brogues for the office
- Think about your accessories. A clean watch in gold or silver is the perfect polished finishing touch
The Rebellious One
Ivory Flannel Tuxedo Jacket – Bonobos | Black Henley – Forever 21 | “The Conversation Starter” Pyramid Lapel Pin – Tie Mags | Black Jeans – 7FAM | Kensington Black Chelsea Boots – Crosby Square | Metropolitan+ Smartwatch – Timex
This is the New Year Eve party that you’ve been waiting for — No Dress Code. Of course, looking good is still top of mind — so live a little. Experiment with denim, boots and your favorite black t-shirt. When executed appropriately, your full Lenny Kravitz style will be on display (not the exposed junk Lenny Kravitz).
- Your shirt choice is key. A tailored or slim fit broken collar t-shirt or henley will be the perfect complement to this jacket. If collar is too stiff, the look will be a bit disjointed
- When pairing jeans with an ivory tuxedo jacket, always opt for black (tailored or slim fit). You’ll want them to be as tailored as a pair of tuxedo pants
- For a bit of edge, a distressed pair of jeans can add just the right amount of juxtaposition to your formal look (just not over distressed). If it looks like Edward Scissorhands got a hold of your jeans, abort this style mission immediately
- Ground this look with a pair of all black Chelsea boots. Avoid boots with pops of color because it will take away from the overall polished look
The post features a bottle of Veuve Clicquot Champagne, however; this is not a paid endorsement. Readers must be of legal drinking age to share these images.
Photo Credit: Marina T. Peele @CantWinkLefty