Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has…
While October is a sign that autumn is truly here, that doesn’t mean that we can’t hold on to summer while the days are still warm. Before you ditch your summer wardrobe, let’s give your summer suit one more run. This summer, I met the guys from Strong Suit during a trunk show at Boyds in Philadelphia and had a grey striped cotton suit custom-made.
To be honest, I wore the hell out of this suit all summer and realized one way to transition it into the fall before it’s too cold is to rock it with a denim shirt. This post features two looks with two denim shirts to how subtle details can change the look of your summer suit and make it fall ready.
The Casual Western Denim Shirt
Custom Cotton Grey Striped Suit – Strong Suit (available at Boyds Philadelpia) || Denim Shirt – H&M || Cates Tassel Loafers – Johnston & Murphy || Bandanna Pocket Square – AC Moore
The best way to rock a summer suit? Do it casually (but tailored)! That doesn’t necessarily mean donning a t-shirt and sneakers with your tailored kit, however, you can add casual pieces like a western-style denim shirt with your suit for updated tailored twist. Here are a few tips to executing the western-denim shirt with your summer suit this fall.
- A western-style denim shirt is heavier than your poplin or wash cotton shirt. Pairing it with a light cotton suit will add just enough warmth to feel comfortable during the not-so-hot days of October
- Pearl Snap Buttons: a sign of a true western-style denim shirt are pearl snap buttons. They’re inherently casual and are meant to be seen. That means there’s no need to wear a tie
- The Wash: a true worn-in wash is key. The ruggedness of the distressed wash is the perfect contrast to a crisp cotton suit
The Structured Denim Shirt
Custom Cotton Grey Striped Suit – Strong Suit (available at Boyds Philadelpia) || Custom Denim Shirt – Men’s Style Pro x Oliver Wicks Collaboration || Cates Oxford Tan Cap Toe – Johnston & Murphy || Sea Dragon Watch – Zodiac via hook+Albert
If there’s one “new” thing to steal from the Italians, it’s that a denim shirt should be your go-to for suiting up. This time, you’ll be looking for a denim shirt with all the trappings of a dress/work shirt.
- Collar Style Is Key: opt for a spread or cutaway collar shirt. If you’re a straight-point collar kind of guy, the button down collar is the best choice for you
- Button: traditional mother of pearl buttons are all you need
- Tie One One: ditch those flat silk ties and grab those texture knits. Think wools, silk-cotton blends and old school style knit ties (seen in this look). The texture of the tie will complement the texture of denim shirt quite perfectly
- Fit: even though denim is seen as a casual fabric, a tailored fit is crucial. A tapered torso and high armholes will take your shirt to the next level and elevate the styling of your cotton suit (or any suit)
Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man. As of 2014, Sabir serves as a freelance brand ambassador & executive stylist for GQ Magazine & GQ Report. Outside of that partnership, Sabir serves as an independent brand consultant as well. Reach me directly at SABIR@MENSSTYLEPRO.COM