Time to ditch the heavy outerwear this spring and move forward with a versatile denim jacket. Denim brands like True Religion, Levi’s and Carhartt are just a few brands that have really made the push to update their already iconic denim jackets and make them staples for menswear today. Once synonymous with truckers, 80′s break dancers and coal miner types, today; denim jackets have become increasingly popular with everyone from high schoolers to fashion industry pros. Guys, brace your self. Wearing a denim jacket is still cool, contrary to popular belief. These are a some things to consider when looking for the perfect denim jacket.
Tips to buying a denim jacket:
- In terms of sizing, your denim jacket and suit jacket should be the same size.
- The bottom of your jacket should right at your waist
- In terms of distressing (refer to weathered/aged look), it is best find a truly old/original jacket that shows real wear and tear, however; purchasing a jacket with slight distressing on elbow, pocket and shoulders seams is appropriate.
- If going with traditional retail is too costly for your budget, try your local thrift store or consignment shop
- Sites like Ebay or online vintage shops are a great place to find a well priced denim jacket
Overall Style Tips:
- Denim jackets are great for layering in the spring/fall months. Add cardigan, hoodies or a rugby shirt to your denim jacket look
- Wear your denim jacket and get it dirty (it adds character)
- Mix a denim jacket with chinos, wool pants or cords
- You can add a pocket square to your left breast pocket (this style isn’t for everyone, but at least you can say you gave it a try)
- Roll up your sleeves
1. Denim Jacket & Turtleneck
Pairing a denim jacket with a turtleneck sweater is a great combination for early spring. Even though we wish it would instantly be in the 70 to 80 degree range as soon as the first day of spring hits, it is clear from some of the 45 degree days that occurred that we are still transition into spring. This works well from day to night and can be worn in a casual Friday setting, depending on how casual your place of work may be.
2. Going Super Preppy
(Disclaimer: This is a look made to inspire, do not to rock this look verbatim!)
A prep inspired look can definitely be complemented by a denim jacket. Since most prep inspired looks are some what whimsical, a denim jacket adds a bit of edge to this “school-boy” kind of look.
3. Hoodie and a Denim Jacket
V-neck t-shirt and navy chinos by H&M – Captoe boots by Asos – Belt – Strap From Duffle bag – Green Fraternity hoodie – Denim Jacket by True Religion available at Neiman Marcus King of Prussia Mall Location
Photo Credit: Marina T. Peele