Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has…
It’s Time To Strike The White Cord This Fall
You’ve probably broken a lot of rules in your life — eating and going for a swim without waiting an hour, making a turn on a red light or having a drink or two before you were of age (remember that first college kegger…maybe not). So, wearing white after Labor Day shouldn’t be all that difficult of a rule to break either.
As the temperature drops, it’s time to put away those summer-weight chinos and go for the beefier fabrics like – denim, wool & corduroy. For the sake of this feature, we’re focusing on a medium-wale white corduroy pant. They’re one step above a pair of white jeans, but just one notch under those truly wide-wale cords that feel like they can start fire when your thighs rub together.
This post features two ways to rock white cords from the office to the weekend.
White Corduroy Pants – Spier & Mackay | Scout Cognac Chukka Boot – Thursday Boots | Olive Field Jacket – Bonobos | Hat – Uniqlo | Eyewear – Zenni | Vintage Watch – Omega Seamaster | Navy Sweater – Michael Bastian
From a styling perspective, a pair of white cords should be treated like a pair of white jeans. However, there are a few complementary items that bring out the texture of those pristine cords that you don’t get with jeans:
- Suede boots & shoes complement these cords best. Of course flat leather is fine to wear with these pants, but, suede pulls out the texture better
- Now is a good time to step up your sweater game. Since corduroy pants are slightly dressy, pairing them with a merino wool sweater relaxes the overall fit but is still put together
- Add a cuff. Heavy weight trousers demand a good cuff. they had weight to your hem to keep your pants straight. Take the leap and opt for a 1.5 inch cuff
White Corduroy Pants – Spier & Mackay |Plain Cotton/Corduroy Blazer – Michael Bastian x Gant | Captain Boot In Navy Suede – Thursday Boot | Knit Navy Tie – R.Culturi | Denim Shirt – Michael Bastian
You’re finally headed back to the office with a high of 50 degrees, which means white cords and a blazer are a way to go. Since people haven’t been seeing each other for quite some time with the pandemic leaving us in a semi-permanent WFH status, it’ll feel good to put on “real clothes”.
Tips To Pulling Of The Blazer w/ White Corduroy Pants
- Starting with shoes, we’re still sticking with suede because the fabric is the perfect complement to the cords. Opt for a lace up boot or loafer to add the the casual/cool vibe
- Switch up the blazer to something in a pattern. It’ll take attention away from your pants. You want to essentially style these cords like a pair of chinos, just with seasonally appropriate fabrics
- Leave that flat silk tie at home and grab a knit tie, it just works better
Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man. As of 2014, Sabir serves as a freelance brand ambassador & executive stylist for GQ Magazine & GQ Report. Outside of that partnership, Sabir serves as an independent brand consultant as well. Reach me directly at SABIR@MENSSTYLEPRO.COM