For The Moments When A Puff Jacket Won’t Do
Weather-wise, we’re sitting in that weird spot of — some above 50 degree days, rain and the chance for flurries. Which means you’ll need to have a few coats at your disposal. I’ve partnered with one of my favorite brands, Tallia Orange, to style three of my top picks for topcoat coat of the season.
In this feature, I’m using the term “topcoat” loosely to mean overcoat or raincoat, but, with a little panache. Shop the three coats by clicking – Black Camo Raincoat, Faux Brown Suede or Wool Glen Plaid Topcoat.
Photography: Saeed A. Ferguson
Make It Rain
Rainy season. Morton salt-style yellow rubber jackets, an inspector gadget style khaki color raincoat or maybe just an umbrella is the only thing keeping you dry. We can’t knock the classics, but, a black raincoat that’s not rubber or Matrix-like is the secret outerwear style move of the season.
If your love of camo has taken a nose dive after the pattern has become as basic as a pumpkin-spice-latte, this double-black version will make your soul sing. Wear this coat and your boss might ask you where you got it from. That’s when you ask for a raise.
How To Wear A Camo Raincoat
- It’s the ultimate workwear flex. Throw it over your grey, tan khaki and black suits. And, if you have a formal event to attend– throw it over your tux
- Pair it with grey or black joggers sweatpants and a hoodie, for an elevated gym, streetwear or running errands kit
- Or, do the all-black-everything with a pair of jeans, t-shirt and boots (just no Morpheus glasses)
Man of the (Urban) Woods
Faux Suede Shearling Overcoat – Tallia (Macy’s) | Shirt – Uniqlo (DIY collar) | Distressed Denim – Gap | Boots – Men’s Style Pro Collab | Eyewear – Zenni
If you’ve followed Men’s Style Pro at least for the past few months, you know that the 70’s swagger has crept into a fair amount of features — this look is continuing that trend. With a mix of rugged, tailored and highly tactical materials (you’ll want to touch the inside), this coat is a mix of modern menswear sexy and a bit woodsy.
How To Rock This Coat
- Pair it with an all denim look and your favorite snuff boots for an “I just stepped off the farm” but never left the city vibe
- Throw it over a heavyweight navy chalked stripe suit in the vein of Kingsman (The Golden Circle)
Plaid About The Weekend (or every day)
Wool Glen Plaid Topcoat – Tallia (via Lord & Taylor) | Cashmere Hoodie – Mooncats | White Denim – Good Threads | Black Leather Duffle Bag – Herschel Supply | Boots – Johnston & Murphy
If you looking for the most versatile topcoat (besides a navy version) you can own, it has to be a grey glen plaid piece. Use it as your weekend casual upgrade coat, throw it over a suit during the work week or your favorite distressed jeans and a henley.
How To Rock This Coat
- Refer to above
- Because this jacket is so structured, pair this with distressed jeans, chunk boot (like a Dr Martens)
- Use it as a layering piece by throwing it over a denim jacket or a chunky turtleneck sweaters
This feature was sponsored by Tallia Orange, with all styling and opinions being that of Men’s Style Pro
Let me know what your favorite look in the comment section below
Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man. As of 2014, Sabir serves as a freelance brand ambassador & executive stylist for GQ Magazine & GQ Report. Outside of that partnership, Sabir serves as an independent brand consultant as well. Reach me directly at SABIR@MENSSTYLEPRO.COM