A favorite of international men of mystery, the herringbone track stripe suit maybe your ace in the hole when selecting your next suiting fabric. With the latest iteration of the James Bond series Spectre being released recently, I decided to take a stab at my best 007 inspired look.
This custom track stripe pattern suit is from Oliver Wicks‘ new collection of fabrics that are available online. Below find out why I’ll be making this my go to grey/charcoal suit for years to come.
Custom Super 150s Wool Track Stripe Suit – Oliver Wicks || Custom Two-Fold French Cuff Shirt – Oliver Wicks || Charcoal Herringbone Tie – Uniqlo || Watch – Nautica || Black & Grey (James Bond) – Cheapest Nato Straps || Custom Whole Cut Oxford Shoes – Incedo
I’ve often found that grey/charcoal suits can be quite boring without a subtle pattern or standout textural element. When I saw the track stripe fabric it was evident that there something that was more appealing than at a first glance. As someone who looks for details that make a suit subtly stand out, I’ve already committed to make this charcoal track stripe suit my new go-to for just about everything. Here’s my take on the track stripe suit.
- For someone looking to step into the pattern suit world, a track stripe in charcoal is a great way to ease into it
- Like any subtle fabric, from afar the suit appears to be flat and a singular color. You’ll definitely won’t come off as the peacock in the room
- The pattern detail is quite outstanding. Take a closer look. You’ll see that the pattern consist of 4 separate lines to create sets. Two darker & wider border lines bookend a pair of light grey perforated lines
- Vertically speaking, this suits gives you a taller appearance because it draws the eye up the body
- James Bond wear a notch lapel version of the track stripe suit in Spectre
- Versatility Is Key: and this charcoal suit has it in spades. Pair well with just about every color under the sun, but, is perfect with white & the corporate color of blue, pink and lavender
- Pair it with black silk or charcoal tie and this suit now because wedding or evening event appropriate
- Adding other textured elements like a wool or knit will help bring out the texture of the pattern in the suit
- With the pattern being so subtle, this suit is perfect to pair with stripe & check pattern shirts. You can use this as a time to experiment with pattern mixing
Photography: Marina T. Peele @Cantwinklefty
Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man. As of 2014, Sabir serves as a freelance brand ambassador & executive stylist for GQ Magazine & GQ Report. Outside of that partnership, Sabir serves as an independent brand consultant as well. Reach me directly at SABIR@MENSSTYLEPRO.COM