There’s no mistaking it, I’m not British! Even though, I know my wife would love it if I had the suave accent! Growing up, I’ve always had a strong affinity for British men’s style. May be it’s my James Bond fascination or my appreciation of classic Saville Row tailoring because I’m subconsciously drawn to menswear haberdashers from across the pond.
One brand that embodies the British rakishness that has made the leap to the US is Ted Baker. This summer I had the opportunity to serve as a brand ambassador for Ted Baker, when they were opening their King of Prussia Mall location and have really fallen for the whimsical details that brand infuses into every piece. I recently picked up one of their three-piece, shadow plaid suits and styled it three different ways– all with boots. Below are some style tips for executing these looks and some reasons to give boots a chance with your winter weight suits.
Broken-In Boots & Leather Jackets
Shadow Plaid Waist Coat & Pants – Ted Baker USA (available at King Of Prussia Mall – Philly) | Black Cotton Henley – Forever 21 | Gold Framed Aviators – James Dean Eyewear | Wingtip Boots – Ritano | Gold Watch – Peugeot
Rocking a pair of broken-in boots with a suit adds a bit of badass character to your look. When you take a pair of boots with classic menswear details, like a wingtip and beat the hell out of them — the end result is a refreshing pairing.
Style Tips For Rocking Broken-In Boots w/ Suits
- This is a prime opportunity to rock your suit in a non-suited way. Pair a henley and leather jacket with your waist coat & pants — leave the suit jacket at home
- Give your boots a shine! Don’t look broken-in reflect a “I don’t give a damn” attitude
- For this particular suit, opting for black boots complements the dark blue of the suit and adds some rock star flair
The “Business” Three Piece
Pulling off the three-piece suit at work can often throw guys a curve ball. Is it too much? Am I peacocking? Does my boss know that I’m stuntin’ on him? Or, are people appreciating this dope fabric? Maybe the last two questions are a pipe dream, but, you can definitely get away with donning this three-piece because of the understated shadow plaid pattern. To complete the look, add a crisp & sleek brown dress boot.
Style Tips For Three Piece Suit w/ Dress Boots
- Remember, if you’re wearing this look to work it should be refined. Keep the broken-in boots in the closet and grab a pair of sleek lace-ups
- A brown boot will give off the same vibe as your traditional Oxford shoe when paired with a suit. The blue hues of this suit are warmed up by the brown boots
- To make this look work appropriate, keep the look muted. A complementary dark tie in a similar fabric as the suit adds some continuity to the look
The Pilot Jacket & Chelsea Boots
Home » The American Rake: Boots & Shadow Plaid Ted Baker Tweed Suit 3 Ways
What makes a tweed suit so special? The ability to break up the pieces and wear them individually. Since the fabric has a natural nap & texture, adding a leather jacket & Chelsea boots refines the look.
Style Tips For Chelsea Boots & Tweed Suit Break Up
- Boots always look better with a pair of pants that are cuffed. The weight of the cuff complements the size of the boots
- The Chelsea boot works well completely suited and with a mixed casual look like this one. When dressing casually, use the Chelsea boots to dress up the look
- Complement your leathers. Black boots, black leather jacket
Photography: Marina T. Peele @Cantwinklefty
Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man. As of 2014, Sabir serves as a freelance brand ambassador & executive stylist for GQ Magazine & GQ Report. Outside of that partnership, Sabir serves as an independent brand consultant as well. Reach me directly at SABIR@MENSSTYLEPRO.COM