Getting a handle on spring temperatures, especially in northeastern United States, can be a bit tricky. The mornings are cool, afternoons are warmer and the evenings are cool again. One of my favorite pieces to transition from winter to spring is the Cricket Sweater.
Steeped in a rich history of tennis, golf and of course cricket, this particular style of cable knit sweater is not just for playing a few rounds of “whack-bat” (a la Fantastic Mr. Fox). This spring, use your cricket sweater as a layering piece or on its own when putting outfits together. Most often, cricket sweaters are constructed from light wool or cotton blend fabrics, which make them surprisingly breathable and not as heavy as your traditional winter sweaters. Below are some style tips, and two looks for inspiration, as you try out the cricket sweater. The Cricket Sweaters in this feature are from Uniqlo.
- Since the cricket sweater is inherently preppy, pair it with denim, sneakers or even boots to take it down a few notches.
- In regards to fit, the waist should stop at your waist. If the sweater is too long, it will take away from its traditional tailored aesthetic.
- Layer over a polo shirt or any collared shirt. With the deep-V at the collar, that space frames your face perfectly and complements a collared shirt well.
- Try a cricket sweater with a suit, but, do it casually. No need for a collared shirt under the sweater. Push the sleeves up on your suit jacket too if you like.
- Cricket sweaters pair the best with chinos. Use your chinos as an opportunity to inject a pop of color or as your blank canvas to complement your sweater.
Layered with a Denim Jacket
White Canvas Sneakers by Lands End Canvas – Random Pink on the Street –
A Day in the Park or at the Range
Photo Credit: Michael Anthony Flores