(all text in burgundy is clikcable)
Men’s Style Pro will often get a fair amount of emails asking advice on how to dress if you are a man of shorter stature. Taking your reader suggestion, this post will focus on style for the shorter fellows out there. For the sake of this post, shorter stature refers to any height below 5’7 (which itself is considered short compared to a lot of guys). Outfitting himself very well on a daily basis, my friend Charles “Chaz” Bellinger shows us how to put together some great looks, while standing 5 feet 3 inches tall.
Style Tips For Shorter Guys From Charles aka Chaz:
- Don’t be afraid to mix patterns.
- Solid bold color are your friend.
- Select fabrics that contour to the shape of your body. As you can see from many of Chaz’s looks, his fabric choices are soft cottons and tweed. Think of them as your “Soft Fabrics”.(see looks 2 through 4).
- When your fabrics contour to your body, they give you more definition which can make you appear taller.
- Tailored clothes are your best option.
- Wearing baggy clothes do not make you look bigger. Bigger/baggier clothes only make you look smaller and unkempt.
- In terms of pants, go with a slight break. Trousers with no break will make your legs look shorter.
- Get a tailor. This person will be able to take your off the rack piece and make them meet your “actual” measurements.
- If it’s a financial possibility, invest in some custom pieces. They will fit to your exact measurements and will make you look your best. (See look #1)
You will see that a fair amount of Chaz’ pieces are vintage/thrifted. In particular, some of his blazers are from thrift shops and are made by some of the top brands in menswear (quality is key). Since Chaz saves about 90% off the original price when thrifting, he can put money into getting these pieces tailored. Generally, to get a blazer taken in at the waist, the price range is $50 to $65. Below are some examples of some looks that work well for Chaz and his shorter stature.
Keepin’ It Casual
Blue Cotton Blazer by Zara –
Tapered Jeans by American Eagle
Your Favorite Professor
Vintage Tweed Blazer by Ralph Lauren –
Camel Boots by Hawkings McGill
All Cotton Everything
Red gingham shirt by Uniqlo – Brown Knit Tie
Burgunydy Red Full Wingtips by R1901 – Socks by Mossimo via Target
Special thanks to Charles Bellinger for participating.
Photography/Videography Credit : Sabir M. Peele
Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man. As of 2014, Sabir serves as a freelance brand ambassador & executive stylist for GQ Magazine & GQ Report. Outside of that partnership, Sabir serves as an independent brand consultant as well. Reach me directly at SABIR@MENSSTYLEPRO.COM