In continuing with the Bold Blazer Series from last summer, behold the custom linen, plaid, Derby blazer by Indochino. When you head to the Indochino site, you will see that this blazer is shown as single-breasted, two button option. In the customization process, you can change those features to resemble the one in this feature, if you like (you have this option on all suits and blazers too). Some of you might consider this blazer geezer chic, Caddy Shack sharp or even “Right Blazer, Wrong Decade”, but, some of you might consider this blazer stylish as hell. You can even call this your “Go To Hell Blazer” (for the nay-sayers). For the adventurous type, this blazer is one to add to your warm weather wardrobe. Not to say that the not so stylishly adventurous couldn’t rock this blazer, but, it takes a bit of balls to fully commit to it.
There are a fair amount of things to considered when pairing such a bold pattern blazer with an outfit:
- Overall style (lapels, pockets, contrast stitching).
- What other pieces in your wardrobe complement the blazer.
- Fabric choice in shirts, trousers and pocket squares.
- Shoe color and fabric (leather or suede).
1. Summer Wedding/Garden Party Chic
Unless the wedding you’re attending this summer specifies “black-tie attire”, this look will really set you apart from the crowd. One things you never want to do is look like you’re one of the groomsmen or match the groom, so steer clear of the seersucker (more than likely either the groom or his boys will be wearing it). This look works well as a garden party option too.
Reason Behind Styling This Look:
- White chinos ground the craziness of the blazer pattern.
- Camel color shoes keep the look on the summer-side. They really pull the beige color out of the blazer.
- The spread collar blue shirt is a bit more dressy than a button-down collar. Plus, it works well when adding a tie.
- The light blue hue of the shirt complements the navy blue of the blazer
2. Eggplant Pants
Reasoning Behind Styling This Look:
- The eggplant trousers accentuate the magenta striping in the blazer (without being “matchy”).
- The navy shirt plays up the the colors in the blazer and trousers because they are in the same color family.
- By going with a tan leather shoes, the rest of the warm colors in the outfit are pulled together.
- This outfit is perfect for a summer evening event.
Felt Lapel Flower via Ebay
3. Linen on Linen (Another Summer Wedding Option)
Reason Behind Styling This Look:
- Plan on making this look a summer wedding outfit in the extreme heat (linen on linen).
- Instead of pairing this blazer with dark denim, going with linen trousers will keep you cool and add some fabric consistency.
- The brown monk strap shoes keeps this look polished.
- A white shirt and white pocket square are clean, crisp & classic
White OCBD by Frank & Oak – White Cotton Pocket Square by Merona
Photo Credit: Marina T. Peele
Founder & Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man. As of 2014, Sabir serves as a freelance brand ambassador & executive stylist for GQ Magazine & GQ Report. Outside of that partnership, Sabir serves as an independent brand consultant as well. Reach me directly at SABIR@MENSSTYLEPRO.COM