This fall, it is (almost) necessary that you add a grey Donegal Tweed suit to your wardrobe. If you have ventured onto GQ.com recently or picked up the magazine, you may have noticed the spread featuring James Marsden sporting a variety of tweed suits and one specifically in the donegal pattern. For those of you that are unfamiliar with what this particular pattern, “donegal” is a tweed (wool) that is speckled. When you sport this pattern in grey it will remind you of a fuzzy television.
Reasons to go for a Grey Donegal Suit this fall:
- The wool that donegal is made from is most appropriate for cooler temperatures because of its heavier weight than your average wool suit
- Going with grey will give you the option of pairing your looks with black or brown shoes
- This type of suit works great as separates (check out this blazer from an earlier post —> Donegal Blazer)
- You will definitely stand out in a crowd of guys that will be bundled up in early fall, while you can just throw on a scarf and be about your day (no additional outwear needed)
- Pair your suit with other texture pieces (wool ties, pattern shirt) and you will show a bit of depth with your look. Plus, the donegal pattern plays well off of like fabrics.
Stick Your Neck Out
Break up your suit with a fine gauge turtle neck sweater this season. When pairing with a suit, its best to go with a fitted, fine gauge turtleneck sweater because you want your look to remain tailored even though you are not wearing a collared shirt and tie. Remember, the neck of your sweater should fit “snuggly”. This look is great for early fall because you will be warm enough to head straight out of the house in the morning and enjoy a full day of activities, while remaining “dressed” up enough for the office or heading to dinner after work.
Reason to add a Turtleneck Sweater to your Donegal Suit:
- A turtleneck sweater shows a bit of confidence in your day-to-day swagger
- The turtleneck sweater and donegal suit really are quintessential staples for the fall/winter season
- For those days that a shirt and tie are just out of the question, but you still want to look polished
- Why the hell not!
Photo Credit: Marina T. Peele