The Linen Suit Part II: Waistcoat & Pants – Men's Style Pro | Menswear Lifestyle Blog & Shop

The Linen Suit Part II: Waistcoat & Pants

By  |  13 Comments

Shirt by Gap

Tie by BDG from Urban Outfitters

The Linen Suit at Night:

To begin I would like to start with a disclaimer, “I am not creeping around my development stealing mail at night!” Often I get home from work and the sun has been down for a few hours. It has become ritual for me to hop out of my car and head to the mail boxes to see what goodies await (mostly bills, but sometimes some great sartorial gifts). In the first installment of, The Linen Suit, the focus was on the waist coat and it’s versatile styling attributes (styling with denim). This current look displays the waist coat and the matching pants from the three-piece suit as an outfit that I wore to work.

Sidebar: Make sure that you actually wear your clothes. Just because you wear something once does not mean you can not wear it again. Times are tough and you should learn how to mix your pieces to have a versatile wardrobe.

Watch & Band by Goer | Brown Wood Bracelet by Aldo

The waistcoat and matching pant look is by far my favorite work look because it says, “I am here for business, but, I am relaxed enough that I can roll my sleeves up to get down and dirty”. Not too many guys will attempt to wear linen to work because most linen fits are super “flowy” and give off a vacation vibe. In the first linen suit post, I wrote about the importance of a properly tailored fit. The right tailored linen suit can convey the same air of professionalism as a business suit made from more traditional fabrics.

The waistcoat/pant combination is a great option if you decide to grab some drinks after work because you don’t look like “a suit” but you still are very put together (probably better dressed than most guys in the room).

Tan Drivers by Cole Haan

Tans, Grey and Blues:

With any grey suit, hues of blue and tan will complement the look very well. Personally, I went with drivers instead of lace ups or loafers because I wanted to feel more relaxed and still have the complementary tan color. These Cole Haan drivers are refined enough to be worn to work and not look like that typical “go against the style grain” 20-something in the office. I am more of a fan of zero to little break in the leg of my pants, however, when going with a linen pant a slight break adds to the wrinkled character of the look.

Sidenote : Linen is a very comfortable fabric because its breathes very well. On those 10 hour work days, in and out of the office and different climate changes, I can be sure not to overheat when wearing linen.

White Pocket Square by Geoffrey Beene

WTC (Wear The Clothes) : Remember your style is personal to you and you alone. I will go against the grain at time by mixing different patterns and color schemes together because I think they are unique. Not to say that you should abandon the basics and just go hard on being super-unique. Mixing the diagonal tie with a large checked patterned shirt is not for everyone, but, I felt that it made a punch.

Pile of Bills - No Bueno

Thanks for reading,

Sabir

Editor In Chief/Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man, Sabir finds his way around the web in an attempt to seek out "the cool" of #menswear. Stay updated on Men's Style Pro doings on Twitter & Instagram @MensStylePro.

13 Comments

1. Emmanuel

April 19, 2011 at 3:41 am

Those Cole Haan Air Grant’s have been on my radar now for a couple weeks. Do they break-in/wear well?

• Sabir Peele

April 19, 2011 at 3:42 am

Hi Emmanuel,

These Cole Haan’s take no more then one day to break in. Definitely think about picking them up.

Bests,

Sabir

2. Carter

April 20, 2011 at 10:41 am

SP,
    You killed it with this one! That shirt and tie combo is sick. What are your thoughts on diagonal striped ties with gingham shirts? Also, I am looking to invest in a moderately priced linen suit for the upcoming season…any suggestions on brands? Keep up the strong work!
    Be Well,
    Carter

• Sabir Peele

April 20, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Hi Carter,

Thanks for reading as always. In regard to gingham shirt with a diagonal striped tie, it could work if the side of the stripes and a larger or smaller than the gingham. A tie like the one I am wearing in this post could work because there is minimal striping with a large solid palette.

Bests,

Sabir

3. Matt Chang

April 20, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I love reading this fantastic blog! My personal style has elevated tenfold due to your advice and posts and I get compliments daily! Thanks and continue to push the boundaries.
    -Matt

• Sabir Peele

April 20, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Hi Matt,

I am glad that my blog helps inspire your style. Keep staying fresh!

Bests,

Sabir

4. Pingback: Men Suit Style

5. Jon

April 21, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Hi. My question is this: what about pants and waistcoat that are different brands, and the hue isn’t the same? I’m guessing that it would be wrong…

• Sabir Peele

April 21, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Hi Jon,

That is a good question. You can mix brands and hue for your waistcoat and pants. Think of it like this, if you would wear a blue blazer and grey pants, a navy waistcoat and grey pants would have the same effect.

Bests,

Sabir

• Jon

April 21, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Great, I will try it out. Thanks.

6. kevo

June 17, 2011 at 2:59 pm

the ties does not go with the outfit..

7. William

May 14, 2012 at 1:29 am

i like the outfit combination it’s something i am thinking about wearing for semi formal events and when i go a little more causal i can pair them with some nice jeans. I like the cole haans i have that exact same pair

8. Robertholand

May 23, 2014 at 5:28 am

Hi, I was simply checking out this blog and I really admire the premise of the article and this is really informative about mens linen pants. I will for sure refer my friends the same. Thanks

Comments