A Lady & A Gentleman – Men's Style Pro | Menswear Lifestyle Blog & Shop

A Lady & A Gentleman

By  |  14 Comments

Me: French Cuff Shirt | Pocket Square by Clubroom | Midnight Blue Pants from Shipley and Halmos Suit| Navy Blue Tie via Ebay| on Marina : Dress by Asos | Silver Heels by Ralph Lauren

Painting by Christina Galagarza

Wedding Season Begins:

Wedding season 2011 is in full swing. This past weekend one of our great friend’s, Hilary McNamara, got married to an awesome guy, Bob Gentile. Hilary is friend of ours from college. Typically, when getting ready for a formal event, I would go for my slim fit black suit, however; I like to switch things up and go a little off of the beaten path. On a beautiful “spring” (it’s still kind of cold outside) day in March, I thought it would be best to lighten up my formal look with a cotton grey blazer by H&M and light wool midnight blue pants by Shipley & Halmos. This look is a play on the traditional white dinner jacket and midnight blue tuxedo pant. With this option, I was able to compliment my wife’s dress, without looking like we were matching for a prom.

Last July 4th, Marina and I got married (yes there were firework, click here to see pictures). Our wedding was one of 5 that we attended in a 3 month period. Having a varierty options to wear to all these weddings is crucial if you want to be able to switch up your looks.

The Details:

Black on Black Watch by Armitron

Loafers by Johnston & Murphy

Personally, I am a sucker for a nice silk pocket square. Traditionally, a white square for a wedding is the norm and to stray away from that is seen as “improper”. What is traditional may not be what you need to stick to when creating your look. The reasons I feel that this look works with the blues are because:

• The navy and midnight blues are in the same color family and complement each other well.
  • The light grey stripe complements the blazer and white shirt.
  • Since I am not wearing a traditional black suit or tux the look warrants some added color.

As you can see I am wearing a pair of skull socks with this outfit. I like to add personal touches to all of my looks. When sitting down at the dinner table or breaking it down on the dance floor, people will get a quick glimpse at the footwear and their perception of you might change.

Bowtie by Antonio Ricci Couture

White Satin and Leather Braces by Clubroom

Cotton Blazer by HM

Staying formal with Braces & Black Loafers:

Since the event is still semi-formal a nicely shined pair of black loafers and white brace will bring the formal look back to this outfit.  Wearing braces with a tie really helps to:

• Frame your face and the tie while not wearing a blazer
  • The pieces together show that understand the “formal-ness” of the event

Finally a picture with the beautiful bride

The beautiful and newly married Mrs. Hilary Gentile

Editor In Chief/Creative Director of Men's Style Pro, Sabir has a deep passion for menswear and all things manly. Selected as one of the "5 Best Dressed Men In America" by Esquire Magazine in 2010 & as #GQFall 2013 Best Dressed Man, Sabir finds his way around the web in an attempt to seek out "the cool" of #menswear. Stay updated on Men's Style Pro doings on Twitter & Instagram @MensStylePro.

14 Comments

1. Mr. Carraway

March 27, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Looks good.

You left me hanging on the bowtie.

Who is is made by?

Mr. Carraway

• Sabir Peele

March 27, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Mr. Carraway,

As usual thanks for reading. The tie is by Antonio Ricci Couture. Picked it up on Ebay for about $10.

Bests,

Sabir

2. Antonio Centeno

March 27, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Sabir,

Excellent post as always – I like how you bring the details together especially making sure your pocket square not only looks great on you but complements your wife’s dress. Great job!

Best,

Antonio

• Sabir Peele

March 27, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Hi Antonio,

Thanks for the compliment. Yeah it was great to mix it up and compliment my wife and her look.

Bests,

Sabir

3. Marlowe Davis

March 28, 2011 at 12:46 am

You did a fantastic job putting together the outfit for the special day. Good Job!

• Sabir Peele

March 28, 2011 at 3:38 am

Hi Marlowe,

Thank you for reading. It was fun to finally be a guest at a wedding and show my style.

Bests,

Sabir

4. Mauri Richberg

March 28, 2011 at 2:11 pm

You both look marvelous! . I wrote an some article years ago, about Philadelphia style, It said I know who I am, and I like it. You make my point.

• Sabir Peele

March 31, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Thanks Aunt Mauri,

When I get dress I always represent me and Philadelphia.

Bests,

Sabir

5. dwaynejohnson

March 31, 2011 at 4:34 am

OMFG. You are tiny…like me…not an insult….how do get your clothes to fit you?

• Sabir Peele

March 31, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Hi Dwayne,

I wouldn’t considered myself tiny by any means. Being that I am 5’9 and 167lbs with a pretty athletic build would put me in the fit category. Being that I am in good shape my clothes fit well OTR (off the rack). I have gotten some things tailored, however; most things fit me very well because my stature allows it.

Bests,

Sabir

6. Larry

April 6, 2011 at 7:23 pm

I dig the pocket square, where did you find it?

Thanks,

Larry

• Sabir Peele

April 6, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Hi Larry,

Thanks for reading. I picked this pocket square up in Macy’s. It’s by Club Room.

Bests,

Sabir

7. Andrew Barnes

April 14, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Sorry to say, but this one doesn’t work for me.

Novelty socks and loafers to a wedding? A cotton blazer and a bow tie?

I love most of your other styles, especially the drivers cap post, but this one misses the mark – again, just for me personally. Thankfully we’re all different, otherwise the world would be a dull, dull place.

Looking forward to many more awesome outfits.

All the best,

Andrew

• Sabir Peele

April 15, 2011 at 1:28 am

Hi Andrew,

It’s understandable not to like every look that I put out there. More often than not most of my looks are just my personal preference. Stay tuned for more stuff that you will hopefully enjoy.

Bests,